Brachyplatystoma juruense

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
The Stig
Location 1: Doncaster, UK.
Interests: Fish, biking.

Brachyplatystoma juruense

Post by The Stig »

Would i be able to keep this fish in my 450L tank with all its inhabitants peacefully and is the tank big enough to keep one?

I would be greatful for any input, in particular any real life experiences with this fish. We can all read the cat-elog but hearing from people who keep them would be great.

There isn't really anywhere to ask this question. But, i have an Eheim 2028 External but it is not enough as the readings are too high. I would like to add a Fluval FX5 but would this be overkill?

Thanks

Carl.
125l
3 Discus.
1 Featherfin catfish.

450L
1 Giraffe catfish.
2 Shovelnose catfish.
1 Marbled Cambodian Whipray.
2 Freshwater Barracudas.
1 Gibbiceps Plec.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

The Cat-eLog entry for is stating that they reach 600mm, which is about two foot. According to my guidelines, that's about twice as large as you'd want to keep in a 450 liter tank (assuming that the tank is around 4 x 2 x 2 foot - it may be a bit longer and narrower, which really just makes it worse...)

Of course, if you have some REAL way to get a much bigger home for this fish (not just a dream that you would eventually be able to build a heated pond).

No, I haven't got any real-life experience with this fish - since I haven't got a four-foot wide, eight-foot long tank, and nowhere near the ability to accomodate one. A five-foot tank is about what I can manage at the moment...

I think your filter question should go into "tank-talk"... But if "levels" are nitrate, then not even the biggest filter in the entire universe will help. What you need to reduce nitrate is one or more of:
1. A proper anaerobic nitrate filter - they exist for marine tanks.
2. More/bigger water changes.
3. Fewer fish.
4. Less feeding.
5. Less nitrate in the "clean" water [I have serious problems with this at the moment - my water is 30+ ppm when I take it from the tap, which seriously causing problems - but I can't do anything until I get into my new house and can set up the RO unit to filter the Nitrate out of the water].

--
Mats
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Anybody else...?
125l
3 Discus.
1 Featherfin catfish.

450L
1 Giraffe catfish.
2 Shovelnose catfish.
2 Freshwater Barracudas.
1 Gibbiceps Plec.
taksan
My images: 3
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia and Uk
Location 2: Sydney and Surrey

Post by taksan »

They reach 3 feet on occaision but its rare and most end up about 2 feet and in might be the "flash" subspecies that gets big as I've never seen a normal one over 2 feet. They don't do much so you could easily keep one in say a 6x2x2 tank quite happily. They will do fine in a 4x2x2 for quite some time but your going to have to upsize the tank if you want to keep them long term. They are NOT a easy fish to keep alive BTW.
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

What makes them hard to keep? Would one be OK with my other tankmates?

Carl.
125l
3 Discus.
1 Featherfin catfish.

450L
1 Giraffe catfish.
2 Shovelnose catfish.
2 Freshwater Barracudas.
1 Gibbiceps Plec.
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

They are easy to keep alive. I have owned around 6 or so and I only killed one because It ate a suction cup I had left in my tank, so it suffocated. It was 16". A 4x2x2ft will last for a little longer than a year or so before you need a bigger tank. They like softer/ acidic waters so a pH of 6.3-7 is good. They also love the current and will sit on a branch if its near/ or in a current. Ive fed mine a diet of shrimp and silversides and ocasially minnows from the bait shop. Keep the water clean/ flowing/oxygenated and you will be ok.
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

Oh yeah it should be good with your tankmates except the F/w barracudas unless the baracudas are large. The juruense will outgrow them most likely and swallow them down like spighetti

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”