Breeding Corydoras Aeneus 'Laser Green'

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
cdawson
Location 1: Vancouver BC
Interests: Aquariums and HOCKEY!!!

Breeding Corydoras Aeneus 'Laser Green'

Post by cdawson »

Does anyone have any experience in breeding these?
I searched the forum and didn't find alot of info, but from what I've been able to find on the net they should breed exactly like their cousin Corydoras Aeneus 'Bronze'.
I was hoping someone on here had a little more to add to what little I've found on them and what articles on the bronze cory have already told me.
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

I think the various 'lazer' corys are more closely related to , not aeneus. Someone I know who has bred them seems to think they only spawn twice a year, at least that has been his experience.

Perhaps someone with first-hand knowledge can provide you with more information.
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

I have a group of these corys right now that seem to spawn as regularily as the normal bronze aeneus. No special care was given to them and now that they have started they seem to spawn every few weeks for me. I think i am currently raising out 3 or 4 spawns of fry from them.

They are egg eaters though as a word of caution and lay the eggs on pretty much anything in the tank... glass, sponge filter intake.. you name it.

If you have any other questions feel free to fire away.
LDA19
Location 1: IN

Post by LDA19 »

I have a 5 in my 55 gallon community tank and they spawn all the time with out doing anything to trigger it.
Sherrie
"I have yet to meet a catfish that I did not like".
12 Sterbai corys,7 longfin Paleatus
corys,2 L007,2 L-028,6 L-75,5 L-144,2 L-200,5 LDA-25,4 LDA-33,2 LDA-72
cdawson
Location 1: Vancouver BC
Interests: Aquariums and HOCKEY!!!

Post by cdawson »

madattiver wrote:I have a group of these corys right now that seem to spawn as regularily as the normal bronze aeneus. No special care was given to them and now that they have started they seem to spawn every few weeks for me. I think i am currently raising out 3 or 4 spawns of fry from them.

They are egg eaters though as a word of caution and lay the eggs on pretty much anything in the tank... glass, sponge filter intake.. you name it.

If you have any other questions feel free to fire away.
Do are you hatching the eggs and raising the fry?

another note is that this is my first venture into breeding catfish (on purpose anyways :lol: ).
I'm experienced in breeding alot of other different groups for example apistos, west african dwarfs, gobies, wild bettas, characins, other cichlids.
I got these through a friend who did a shipment from peru a month or two ago, now that I know they are healthy I'm giving these guys a shot, seeing as they are a rarity around here.

Also, with what kind of frequency do they spawn for you? what diet are you using, etc...?
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

as stated above... "I think i am currently raising out 3 or 4 spawns of fry from them."

i feed them a combination of earthworm sticks from Ken's Fish and bloodworms and they were spawning every 2-3 weeks for me.
Andrew
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:21)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Ellicott City, Maryland

Post by Andrew »

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”