Sturisoma or Sturisomathichthys?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

and if Sturisoma; wich species?

btw spot the Amphilius rheophilus :wink: (the wee beastie eyeing up the eggies with bad intent :twisted: )

I'm quite curious what it's going to be.
to me still 'run off the mill Sturisoma festivum/aureum', but the fact that they spawn but don't grow anything beyond their current size (13 cm SL) confuses me.

Sturisoma should be bigger; 20 cm or more.
Valar Morghulis
flash
Location 1: yorkshire
Interests: fish

Post by flash »

hi sidguppy
definately sturisoma .i keep several and have bought them at at differant shops over a number of years.the barbatum ,festivum are easy to identify but panamense and aureum look so alike sometimes its hard to tell(im sure some of the shops get it wrong as well)i also find they will interbreed very easily so captive bred ones can be a mixture.i have had to seperate mine into pairs
even the sturisomalichthys will spawn with panamense and the eggs hatched ok i have 2 female sturisomalichthys (wish i could find a male)as for size i have 2 male panamense one is over 20mm longer but both were the same size when i got them over 2 years ago .they seem to be happy and healthy so i guess they havent read the books telling them how big they should grow.

cheers flash
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

Post by bedwetter »

sidguppy,
I hope you dont' mind me also posting some photos here, but after reading the other thread about Sturisoma/Sturisomathichthys, I am confused too.

I bought my fish as Sturisoma panamense. To me they look the same as your fish.

Jeff
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

I would say that you all have Sturisoma aureum, they reach 20 cm SL but grow slowly after they have started to breed.

Janne

Return to “What is my catfish?”