Rineloricaria lanceolata bristle loss/regrowth

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

Rineloricaria lanceolata bristle loss/regrowth

Post by bedwetter »

I bought three R. laceolata a few months ago. The male had huge growths of cheek and pectoral odontodes, as well as some on top of his head. He started to lose his bristles after awhile, perhaps because I was keeping the group in suboptimal conditions (high hardness and pH, poor choice in tankmates). Well, a few weeks ago I started doing water changes with RO water, and his odontodes have started to grow back. Is this just an idicator of being happerier, or is he getting ready to spawn?

Also, my female now has a light growth of bristles on her cheeks, but does not have any on her head or pectorals (and the pectorals are not thickened either). Is this normal for female whiptails, or do I have a subdominant male?

Male when purchased (May06):

Pair, male without bristles (midJuly06:

Male with new growth (late August06):

Females growth (aug06):

Any info you have would be much appreciated!
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Many loricariid spp lose and regrow their odontodes through the year as the spawning season comes and goes. The females of some spp have odontodal growth as well, but much less growth than males.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

Post by bedwetter »

thanks for the info shane.
I am not too worried about the female being a 'he' anymore because I looked at my female Sturisoma and she has a small patch of odontodes too.
FuglyDragon
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:17, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:8)
Location 1: New Zealand
Location 2: New Zealand
Interests: Plecos !

Post by FuglyDragon »

Interestingly my adult male lost an eye at some stage before I bought him, his odontal growth is allways more pronounced on the side with his remaining eye for some reason.
Check out my pages on plecos in New Zealand http://mikesaquatics.co.nz

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”