Catfish for a display tank?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
chupapiedras
Location 1: Puerto Rico
Interests: FISH, allways fish!

Catfish for a display tank?

Post by chupapiedras »

IF I play my cards and can finally convince the store owner right I might have the opportunity to set up an 8'x2.5'x3' tank for African cichlids. So far the fish list has a colony of Frontosa, Electric Yellow, Electric Blue, a collection of peacocks, some pseudotropheus, calvus and Orange leleupis, and some Bushy nose plecos. However I need to convince the store owner against the usual, just because its been done a lot before.
So, I'm asking you guys to contribute appropriate species of African Catfish that are obtainable and are suited for a "Show Tank" that will be viewed by a lot of hobbyists!

If you can help, I'd be thankful!
ED
As long as you are alive you can obtain happiness!
toddnbecka
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cumberland, MD
Interests: Synodontis

Post by toddnbecka »

Synodontis petricola or multipunctatus, or both, would be fine. They are both schooling species, and will be more active and visible in groups. The larger the group/s, the more active and visible they will be.
Regarding the stocking list, it looks like a recipe for disaster. If the mbuna and peacocks don't stress out the frontosa, the smaller species will be eaten when the front's grow. The leleupi will probably be the bottom of the food chain first.
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Post by drpleco »

Syno angelicus are also a very beautiful fish, but not as active as the others already mentioned.
chupapiedras

Post by chupapiedras »

toddnbecka wrote:Synodontis petricola or multipunctatus, or both, would be fine. They are both schooling species, and will be more active and visible in groups. The larger the group/s, the more active and visible they will be.
Regarding the stocking list, it looks like a recipe for disaster. If the mbuna and peacocks don't stress out the frontosa, the smaller species will be eaten when the front's grow. The leleupi will probably be the bottom of the food chain first.
I figured that S. multipunctatus was the best choice, Angelicus is one of my favorites but I ahd ruled it out because of size and behavior.

Sorry, for the confussion about the stocking list, did not mean to imply that all of the species would be added. Althoug I have done the mix numerous time and Know from experience that will work! At least in TAnks in the 200 gallon and up range! This one is roughly 450 gallons and will be full of rocks!
A leleupi in the bottom of the food chain, never seen one that could not handle itself unless it was sick or injured.

Right now the multipunctatus sounds good, how many? 10-15?

Any other that you guys think will make a statement in such a colorful tank!?
drpleco
My images: 2
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Post by drpleco »

I would think that 15 multi's would be all the statement that you need! :)
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Multipunks or petricolas would be good with Malawi cichlids. For riverine cichlids I would suggest . You could have a small group. They aren't too shy nor too territorial, they eat just about everything, they grow quickly; they're beautiful and graceful, with silver eyes and the trademark single spot on each side.

Do you want some? Yes you do.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
chupapiedras

Post by chupapiedras »

Well, tank is 80% sure it will happen! And Synodontis multipunctatus, eupterus, petricola and Syno sp. "polli" just became available. However the owner is still leaning towards a smaller group of multis in order to add a group of Clown loaches and perhaps some Angelicus. As far as the cichlids go it will include frontosas, electric yellow labs, Alto calvus and a variety of peacocks. Will it work with the suggested catfish and loaches? I think the owner might leave out the multis in favor of the angelicus if needed.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

saying it straight (I'm not so big in the "politically correct" departyment): that owner should do some serious reading about fishkeeping and lessen his own sheer stubborness......

he's still insisting on combining fish that will be a recipe for disaster later on.

frontosa = piscivore! the frontosa's will loooooooove those Peacocks, really. esp the smaller grey females. foodfish. expensive foodfish. a waste.
smaller Yellows are also toast once the fronts reach a certain size and feel a bit feasty.

Loaches don't like Tanganyika- or Malawi-water. Clowns can be tough on occasion, but the fact that some people seem to get away with it doesn't mean it should be done. plenty good Syno's to go around.

Why insisting on the extremely nocturnal and territorial angelicus (it's not exactly peaceful to other Syno's) that -once reaching adulthood- will hide most likely all day behind any rockpile, instead of the peaceful, highly visible, social, active multipunctatus?
S angelicus is a fine looking Synodontis, well worth keeping, but it IS shy when mature; something for the dedicated catfish fan, but not a good fish for a showtank once it's furnitured with places to hide.

Stacking a variety of Peacocks (Aulonocara's) doesn't make sense; all too often only the most dominant male truly shows his colors. so you end up with a lot of bland greyish fish with flimsy colors and only 1 goodlooking fish. varieties or closely related species crossbreed, fight over females and confuse each other in general.
not that any baby Peacock has a chance of surviving with frontosa's in there, but if it DOES survive, chances are really big it's a mutt. or a hybrid. Aulonocara domestica.
not something that boosts the hobby to a higher level.
and given the fact that we're talking about a salesperson here I'll bet that any surviving offspring will eventually be sold........
Valar Morghulis
chupapiedras

Post by chupapiedras »

sidguppy wrote:saying it straight (I'm not so big in the "politically correct" departyment): that owner should do some serious reading about fishkeeping and lessen his own sheer stubborness......
he's still insisting on combining fish that will be a recipe for disaster later on.
The owner knows a lot about fish keeping, but there is some stubbornness :roll:
sidguppy wrote:frontosa = piscivore! the frontosa's will loooooooove those Peacocks, really. esp the smaller grey females. foodfish. expensive foodfish. a waste.
smaller Yellows are also toast once the fronts reach a certain size and feel a bit feasty

Don't worry I've done this combo lots of times(and seen it done lots of times search the net for Mike Senske and you'll see) and having an 8 feet tank with hundreds of pounds of rock(aquascaped the right way in order to provide dedicated areas for particular species) + feeding between 3-4 times a day helps keep the aggression down. BTW, rest of the fish will be added either at the same size of the fronts or bigger and with the fronts growing at a smaller pace it won't cause problems. There is no chance of a female peacock landing in this tank!
sidguppy wrote:Loaches don't like Tanganyika- or Malawi-water. Clowns can be tough on occasion, but the fact that some people seem to get away with it doesn't mean it should be done. plenty good Syno's to go around.
My thoughts exactly :!: But Synos are basically non existing in the vocabulary of hobbyist in the island, looking to change that though! :peace:
sidguppy wrote:Why insisting on the extremely nocturnal and territorial angelicus (it's not exactly peaceful to other Syno's) that -once reaching adulthood- will hide most likely all day behind any rockpile, instead of the peaceful, highly visible, social, active multipunctatus?
S angelicus is a fine looking Synodontis, well worth keeping, but it IS shy when mature; something for the dedicated catfish fan, but not a good fish for a showtank once it's furnitured with places to hide.
I only said "perhaps some angelicus" I also mentined earlier that I ruled it out because of behavior. Its good that you point it out since this is the kind of info I need it, not knowing much about African Catfish, SA is another story! :wink:
sidguppy wrote:Stacking a variety of Peacocks (Aulonocara's) doesn't make sense; all too often only the most dominant male truly shows his colors. so you end up with a lot of bland greyish fish with flimsy colors and only 1 goodlooking fish. varieties or closely related species crossbreed, fight over females and confuse each other in general.
not that any baby Peacock has a chance of surviving with frontosa's in there, but if it DOES survive, chances are really big it's a mutt. or a hybrid. Aulonocara domestica.
not something that boosts the hobby to a higher level.
and given the fact that we're talking about a salesperson here I'll bet that any surviving offspring will eventually be sold.......
What you wrote is very true, except that the fish are being carefully planed, in other words there is no need to house similar Alunocaras, quite the opposite and it won't be in huge numbers either. It is also good to point out that no female(only confirmed males) will be purposely added and that if for a struck of luck one were to find her way in there and it breed, the owner (FEMALE :twisted: ) will have to put her bathing suit on and fetch them herself :wink: , not me!!

Thanks to everyone for their input,
once its up and running I'll post a few pics!
jordanroda
Location 1: Los Angeles, CA.

Post by jordanroda »

My frontosa (4 inch) killed my :cry: angelicus(6 inch). They used to fight all the time, both very territorial.

Return to “African Catfishes”