Albino Ancistrus kittens!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Elspeth
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kansas City, Missouri

Albino Ancistrus kittens!!

Post by Elspeth »

Back at the end of April, I posted about "dwarf albino bristlenose?" because my male albino, not yet at the 5" mature size, had been foolin' around with a female and was hunkered in a cave fanning his fins.

I didn't expect it to work out, him being a teenaged dad and all. But we have itty bitty bristles swimming about, and tantalizing glimpses of a couple more still in the cave (which Mr. Big Bristles is still fanning furiously)!

Photos to follow, though they won't be hall-of-fame quality.

How many eggs to common and albino bristlenoses usually lay? We've counted ten fry/juveniles, I think, and there are a few under Dad still. Wondering how many eggs there "probably" were...
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Congratulations. I know that feeling, it's great.

First of all, fish aren't like humans when it comes to fully grown and sexually mature. [Well, even humans, at say 11-13 when they are sexually functional, aren't exactly fully grown either]. Anyway, my point is that just because your male isn't "full-size" doesn't mean that he's not fully capable as a father.

As to how many you get, I counted betwene 25 and 30 in the first batch, but even as small babies, they are pretty good at hiding... I've been taking them to the LFS for reselling, and so far I've taken over 30, and I think that's all from the first spawn. I've still got some big ones in the tank that I suspect is first spawn. So, somewhere around 30-40 per spawn. Of course, this is dependant on the size/condition of the female. I'm sure a good-sized female should be able to get more than 40 eggs.

I've just this weekend taken the female back to the tank where the male and the babies are, to see if I can get another spawn. The babies I took to the LFS (20 of) the weekend before last were almost all sold out, so I took another 12 this weekend. I'm not making a fortune, but it paid for some frozen food to feed the other fish...

--
Mats
Elspeth

Post by Elspeth »

MatsP wrote:Congratulations. I know that feeling, it's great.
Well... yeah, I am kind of thrilled. :D But also humbled. I thought that when I had a pleco spawning to report, it would be because I'd carefully gotten everything exactly right. Well, I gave 'em lots of room and a rock. Mind you, I do have terra cotta plant pots and sealant and I've been making plans to make Proper Pl*co Caves but...

It kinda sorta just happened. :lol:

I hope many are hiding, and that we do have more than the handful I've seen out and about. Hadn't even thought about what to do with them once they get to growing!

I guess the parents, at least, are happy in their new tank, eh?
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

You did have a pleco spawning to report. Don't put yourself down. You did get everything right (whether that was by accident or on purpose is a different story... ;-) ). The fish are happy, or they wouldn't be spawning...

I just placed the female back in the tank the other day, and a big lump of eggs were laying in front of the new cave I put in when I got home from work, and later on being dragged by the male into the cave... I actually saw the female go in the cave when the male was in there, and lots of "fin-wagging" going on in there...

--
Mats
Elspeth

Post by Elspeth »

Mats, I'm happy that they're happy... :lol: :wink: :lol:

Here is the Scene of The Hanky-Panky:

and here is an extra-close-up of two of the (apparently scant, but possibly hiding) results:

So, how long until this is no longer amusing 'cause I'm up to my neck in baby ancistrus and spending all my free time boiling vegetables? :)
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Well, you can pretty much count on them spawning about every 4-6 weeks or so.... Best "contraception" for these are "separation". Split the male and female up, and you should be OK... ;-)

--
Mats
pleco_farmer
I've donated: $50.00!
Location 1: Wash, DC, USA

Post by pleco_farmer »

I know that you are joking about time spent boiling vegetables, however, freezing them works just as well. Just keep a big ziploc of chunks in the freezer. I find that most types will hold up longer in the water as well, less mess.
Candice
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Post by Candice »

Cute kittens! :D
-C

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”