Ancistrus ranunculus growth rate

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
HaakonH
My articles: 2
My images: 363
My catfish: 1
Spotted: 226
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Location 2: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Fish fish fish!

Ancistrus ranunculus growth rate

Post by HaakonH »

The more common Ancistrus species grow fairly fast, at least compared to Peckoltia/Panaqolus/Hypancistrus etc. Is this also the case with A.ranunculus, or is it more of a slow grower? Have any of you kept other Ancistrus species from the same area as A.ranunculus and been able to compare growth rates?
kkorotev
I've donated: $50.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 19
Spotted: 11
Location 1: Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post by kkorotev »

If L255 is truly A. ranunculus, I have not witnessed ANY growth from these fish in nearly a year and a half. If that means they're already full adult, than the guesses of this fish reaching upwards of 8" is incorrect. None of my 8 are even a full 6".

That really doesn't answer your question though, does it?

Kevin
HaakonH

Post by HaakonH »

Well given the obvious similarity between A.ranunculus and L-255, it does actually give me a useful answer, because it adds to my suspicion that these Ancistrus are in fact slow growers. I had a pair of L-255 in the store where I work and they measured approx 5", and I have never seen bigger specimens. The biggest specimens of A.ranunculus I have seen were approx 6". There is certainly something special about these 2(?) species, with the seemingly slow growth an the difficulties we experience with just keeping them alive and well for a longer period of time!
bernt
Location 1: Norway

Post by bernt »

Haakon: Can you tell me which store you're working in, 'cause I'm looking for some L-255, and have only seen them once in Norway.
HaakonH

Post by HaakonH »

Hi,

Aquazoo in Bergen (http://www.aquazoo.no)!
pleco_farmer
I've donated: $50.00!
Location 1: Wash, DC, USA

Post by pleco_farmer »

Slow, slow, slow topping out around 6". 84-86F really perks up their appetites, and although it may not be obvious, might help the growth rate. Mine are over five years old and in that time have grown from two inches to six, where they have been for about a year.
HaakonH

Post by HaakonH »

Thanx for the info, again it confirms my beliefs :D Have you bred them? Any idea what size they need to be to spawn? And you wouldn't happen to have any pics to share?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”