What "Pleco" is this?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
einstein-a-go-go
My cats species list: 23 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: England

What "Pleco" is this?

Post by einstein-a-go-go »

When this "L" catfish was purchased it was described as a Blue-Eyed Catfish Pleco, I knew it wasn't a Blue-Eyed Parnaque, so didn't pay that much for it.

It did have blue-ish pale eyes when much younger, but they have now changed. It's quite an orange-brown colour, as can be seen from photo. It's not very active during the day, and because it spends its time in a dark tank with bogwood, has been difficult to catch to photo, but a piece of courgette on screwcumber, and it comes out to feed!

Any ideas?
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

This is Hypostomus sp. L137
from the Cochliodon group...might have a species name but i dont have the paper at hand right now.
edit: catelog
imo the elog needs revision on some Hypostomus L Numbers Names?
P.S.: With blue eyes its a much rarer fish than the brown eyed thing. But i heard that they sometimes change eye color after being imported.
cheers
Christian
einstein-a-go-go
My cats species list: 23 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: England

Post by einstein-a-go-go »

Caol_ila wrote:Hi!

This is Hypostomus sp. L137
from the Cochliodon group...might have a species name but i dont have the paper at hand right now.
edit: catelog
imo the elog needs revision on some Hypostomus L Numbers Names?
P.S.: With blue eyes its a much rarer fish than the brown eyed thing. But i heard that they sometimes change eye color after being imported.
Excellent, many thanks, when it was younger and thinner not being fed probably in a pet shop, it had light blue eyes when purchased, it's grown, put on weight, and blue eyes have changed colour!

It looked like the pictures in the Catelog.

Thanks

Return to “What is my catfish?”