Newbie with Sorubim Lima Questions

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SorubimLima
Location 1: Indiana
Interests: Shovelnoses

Newbie with Sorubim Lima Questions

Post by SorubimLima »

Hi everybody! I'm new and I had some questions for the Sorubim Lima keepers out there. First, how big a tank do you guys put these cats in? I currently keep mine with a 5 inch Firemouth c******d, a gold gourami, a blue gourami, a brown knifefish, a common pl*co, a farlowella acus, a 3 inch clown loach, a striped talking cat, 2 African Clawed Frogs, and 2 pictus cats. Second, what do you feed yours? I feed mine bloodworms, Tetracolor flakes, and Wardley's shrimp pellets. These guys are all in a 75 gallon 48x21x18 tank, with no aggresion problems. The tank is at a constant 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and has an undergravel filter and two backpack filters. I'm only 13 so I can't just drive to the lfs and ask them questions. Thanks for your replies, as I can barely find any in-depth info on these awesome big cats! Hey to all other teens like me.
SorubimLima
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

Hey there,,,well the lima is eventually going to out grow some of those fish. And some of these fish may become snacks. Seems like you have the lima on a good diet. A 75 gallon tank will be ok for while. A 180g+ in my opinion, would be the minumum size tank to house and adult lima in. They get 15"+. 24" max.

Also under gravel filters are not the best of filters...Check out some canister filters, like the eheim canisters. Some good hang on filters are emperor 400's. A good website to order online is http://www.petsolutions.com/ . They are good with prices.

I got into the big predatory cats when i was your age. Im 18 now and still love them. It is a great hobby/passion to have. Good luck. anymore questions just ask!
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

wow, someone younger than me!! im 15
you have a good selection of fish there!!!!
how do your pictus cats feel? do they fight? or just sit around the place like mine? lol
SorubimLima

Post by SorubimLima »

Thanks for the advice, people. I was worried he might not be getting enough nutrition. As for size, he is currently about eight inches long. How many years will it take for him to outgrow the 75? In that time I will eithere have a larger tank(unlikely), or I will have to give him to my mom, who conveniently works at the local zoo. As for my pictus, they are easily the most active thing in my tank and have a hearty appetite. The lfs near me is great! Their stuff is a little pricey, but they have a great selection of fresh and salt stuff. Best of all, they will not sell you a RTC if your tank is to small or have a lame excuse. They really care about the fish there. Thanks again.
Hi, Pictus Man, hi TiGrInus.
SorubimLima
Last edited by SorubimLima on 06 Feb 2006, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Count:2 Sorubims,1 pl*co, 1 twig, 2 pictus, 1 oto, 1 striped raphael, 3 Pygmy Cories
SorubimLima

Post by SorubimLima »

Me again. Just got back from the lfs about an hour ago. When I was there I found this 6 inch Sorubim Lima for a great price. He has acclimated already and nothing seems to be caring about his arrival, other than my 8 in. Sorubim and pictus cats. He and the bigger shovel have been swimming together and seem to be getting along. Also, does anyone have any pix of the other Sorubim species, like elongatus? Any pix are appreciated.
SorubimLima
Proud owner of two Limas!
Last edited by SorubimLima on 06 Feb 2006, 01:26, edited 2 times in total.
Cat Count:2 Sorubims,1 pl*co, 1 twig, 2 pictus, 1 oto, 1 striped raphael, 3 Pygmy Cories
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

wow, you have two?
do you pay for your own fish?
i never have enough money!! (partly because i cant be bothered to get a job!!)

Do any of your friends have fish tanks? none of mine do!!!
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Hi. I think your Limas should be OK in that tank for a year perhaps, although they do need a lot of swimming space.

However it would be a good idea to get rid of a few of the other fish such as the firemouth, the plec and the xenopus, as these are the big water polluters.

If you don't, you may find your water quality deteriorating, as the fitration fails to cope with the waste they produce.

Start saving for the 180g!
SorubimLima

Post by SorubimLima »

Thanks for the replies Pictus Man and Racoll. Racoll, what exactly do you mean by swimming space? Defending a territory, feeding grounds, open space, etc. For the record, my limas aren't even very active during the night hours with the exception of their food raids. Mine don't move more than a few inches even when disturbed by a net or a hand. Loving the 2nd lima!
SorubimLima

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”