Holiday advice needed

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Holiday advice needed

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

We are planning a trip to Central America or the Carribbean at the end of march.
It'll be a 2 week all inclusive beach stay and we have some choices and Im a bit unsure as all seem quite nice and Ive never been to any of these countries. Its a bit of a stretch as Nici is looking for nice beaches+water and "carribean feeling" and relaxation and Id like to see nature and interesting sites.
So it would be nice if somebody who has been could comment on our choices.
Which are: Costa Rica, Panama, Grenada, T&T. On the extended list are Isla Margerita, Jamaica, Mexico, Cuba, Dom.Republic (I've been to DomRep, Jam and Mexico so Id like to see something new)
cheers
Christian
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

C,
Where were you in Mexico? Keep in mind that it is a big country and the different regions have very different ecologies, cultures, and foods.
Margarita has ok beaches but very little nature. It is more like Aruba or Bon Aire (i.e. a desert island).
I did Costa Rica a few years ago and we really liked it. It is a bit too "touristy" in many ways but a beautiful country. For nature try to stay a few days up near Arenal volcano. Very cool to sip beers in the evening and watch the lava flows.
I do not know Panama, but it would be very attractive to me as southern Panama has South American fauna.
Given any thoght to Venezuela? I have a German friend that runs tours there and could easily set you up with beeches and great collecting.
Here is Norbert's page
http://www.bugparadise.com/menus/menu_en.html
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Cozumel (spelling?)

That Ven thing looks great, but I think its a bit too expensive.
cheers
Christian
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hey
We booked today and decided to go to Costa Rica on the Pacific coast. Thanks for your input Shane.
cheers
Christian
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

remember not to fool around with catching fish over there.....it's basically one big wildlife preserve so any catching or collecting is off limits.

have fun, you lucky bum!
Central America is pretty high on my to-do list as well :wink:
Valar Morghulis
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Ill try my best not to land in a jail:D
The hotel has its private reserve so maybe Ill bei lucky to find somebody who can show me what fish they have there. Just to take some photos.
Im really happy with this destination. Next big goal will be the Seychelles on the to do list.
cheers
Christian
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Hey folks!

We returned Friday from San Jose and the trip was just awesome. This is the most beautiful country I`ve visited (and I have quite a good list I think).
We stayed 2 weeks in an All Inclusive Barcelo at Tambor Beach. Great beach for the woman and a nice nature park for me. We also visited Curu, Cabo Blanco, Isla Tortuga on Nicoya and went on a 2 day trip to Monteverde and Arenal with a nice hotel at the foot of the volcano. We did Skytrek there and also were lucky enough to see a male Quetzal and loads of Toucans. We saw lots of birds, mammals and a few reptiles and amphibians.
Probably my most spectacular find was a 2 meter Boa constrictor in our hotel park. I made several "excursions" at night with a couple of crappy flashlights and on my own because nobody dared to join me. When you meet a racoon and are glad for his company you know youre afraid and alone. :) More dangerous than rattlers, palmvipers and corals were maybe the spotted skunks that roamed the park at night. Thought they were some kind of weasel because spotted ones werent in my books and they were really tiny. Luckily I didnt get skunked although I was only 2 meters (maybe 4) away in my first encounter.
Fish wise there wasnt very much. Near our hotel we had some "Gambusia type" looking fish in the mangrove streams and in Curu I saw some large "Mollys" with beautiful big yellow fins. Below a waterfall I snorkeled in the pond and found two kinds of tetras one elongate like a cigar with a yellow stripe and one looking like rosy tetras, both around 10 cm tl (by guessing). Took some underwater photos but still waiting for them being developed.
Most rivers were all muddy and full of crocodiles and caymans.
Heres some pics:
Nici doing Skytrek in Monteverde
One of the guides I think
Bird of birds
tame Toucan
red eyed leaffrog
hotelroom view on Arenal
Boa constrictor
our hotel beach
zorrillo
cheers
Christian
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

cheers
Christian
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Nice pics, Christian! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time. :D
Amanda
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

Thx Amanda!
Im really jealous that you US/Can folks have such a short way to get to paradise. The 14 hours to get there from here is the only downside of this vacation.
cheers
Christian
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

The US is a big country. You might think it seems close for us but unless you live Texas or somewhere close to the south border it is not really all that close. I could probably fly to Germany about as quickly as I could to Central America. I have the same limitations keeping me from going to SA as you guys do in Germany.

That would be like me being jealous that you live so close to the Rift Lakes in Africa.

Return to “Speak Easy”