Spawning Triggers

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
dj_speed_uk
Location 1: uk (west midlands)

Spawning Triggers

Post by dj_speed_uk »

Hi i have an aquarium with L183'S im looking at spawning these as ive had them a while, ive heard these require a lowring of tds, the water tds reads 357 now i know that is hard water, what level of tds would you say to go to? i have an ro system and got kent blackwater expert, also how should i go about lowering he the tds. i dont want to ph shock the fish or stress them
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

The drastic drop in TDS is usually the trigger that helps them get "in the mood". It shouldn't stress them, other than making them more active and anxious to spawn. Use the RO to get the TDS below 70ppm IME. The faster you go from one extreme to the other (if the fish are in condition and ready!) the more apt you are to get a spawn. Blackwater extract would help to lower the pH also, as you'll definitely want to do. Keep in mind, your pH won't be stable with a TDS that low so overfeeding or an overstocked tank could be a very big problem, very quickly, IMO.

Barbie
dj_speed_uk
Location 1: uk (west midlands)

Post by dj_speed_uk »

hi barbie, just an update, did a 75% water change today brought tds down to 150, i will do a 25% tomorrow and next day untill about 70 will this be quick enough
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

I usually recommend 40-50% changes, rather than 75% but I just reread my post and realized I didn't specifically say that, so hopefully this will be fine ;). I also tend to drop the temp a bit when I start the rainy seasons by using cooler RO water and then turning down the heater a couple degrees. The change you did should definitely be stimulating the females to be out more and frisky and wanting to get into the cave. I'd keep doing the partial changes to get the TDS down, yes. They really are picky about very soft water with a lower pH than most Ancistrus species, due to their origins.

Barbie
ndoboi
Location 1: Australia

Post by ndoboi »

Forgive me if this is one of those 'silly' questions; how do you measure TDS??
Im trying to come up with a spawning plan for L104/LDA68 which I am assuming will need similar triggers to the L183.

Cheers
Steve
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

I use a portable TDS meter that I bought from filterdirect on ebay for $27 a few years ago. There are many different types of meters available though, if you do a search ;).

Barbie
StiffMeister
Location 1: North of the Netherlands
Interests: duh....

Post by StiffMeister »

dj_speed_uk wrote:hi barbie, just an update, did a 75% water change today brought tds down to 150, i will do a 25% tomorrow and next day untill about 70 will this be quick enough
never do such a big water change unless you really have to. rather do 25% a couple of times a week than 75% a day...
ndoboi
Location 1: Australia

Post by ndoboi »

Thanks Barbie, mine is on order and should arrive this week :D

Now I just have to research what figures I should be striving for!! Love this game :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”