Is he Rineloricaria parva?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Is he Rineloricaria parva?

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
I have this Rineloricaria 2 years now and i would like to know which sp. he is because i want to buy a female for him.I bought him as a parva but i would like to know if he indeed is a parva or another sp..Photos of him can be seen at my album
Raph
My images: 15
Spotted: 15
Location 1: Geneva

Post by Raph »

Hi,

No, it is not. The snout is much too short to be R. parva; but with only ventral views, I can't say more. If you want to see what looks like R. parva, look for LG 6.

Cheers
Raph.
Kostas
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Thank you for your reply :wink:
I uploaded two pictures of the upper side.They are pretty bad but they give you an idea.

P.s.:Whats LG 6 and where to search for it?
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

I just uploaded a lateral picture of my Rineloricaria at my album
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
What else do you need to make an identification?Please tell me.

Thank you in advance
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I have no idea on what your fish is, but I do know that Rineloricaria are notoriously difficult to identify, mostly because colouration can't be used as a key to identification, as it varies with the environment and mood of the fish.

Further to that, as with for example Ancistrus, many of the species are described with very few details and keys to identification is most often not given.

--
Mats
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

Post by bedwetter »

Kostas,
I do not know much about identifying Rineloricaria, but check out the photos of . Your fish shows the barred paired fins and ventral markings found in eigenmanni, so it could be that species. Whatever the fish turns out to be, it looks fat and happy!

jeff
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Thank you for your replys :wink:
Yes Rineloricaria are indeed difficult to identify because there are no good photos for most of the Rineloricaria species and because you can never be sure that the fish in the photo is correctly identified.

Jeff,
You are right.R. eigenmanni looks almost exactly like my fish.But i dont know what the other Rineloricaria sp. look like from below and so i cant be sure...
Thank you for your good comments!

Return to “What is my catfish?”