Hi there

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Kotty
Location 1: London, UK
Interests: Fishkeeping

Hi there

Post by Kotty »

Hi everyone. My name is Alex and im 29 and from the UK. Been fishkeeping 2 yrs now and have just bought a 380 litre tank and have nearly finished cycling it. Im keeping most of my current stock in the old small one and introducing them slowly.

Regarding catfish, I now have 3. 1 male bristlenose and 1 male albino bristlenose. Bought this weekend a Leporacanthicus joselimai - my first exotic tropical catfish. All are 2"-3" in size. I also have 6 pepper corys.

Questions I have so far are:-

1) The new catfish, jo I call him is very shy and spends most of the time behind the driftwood, motionless for hours on end. The other 2 are very active and go around the whole tank. Ive dropped small pieces of algae wafer and a couple of mushed peas in his vacinity and he appears to eat some but isnt very active. Is this normal?

2) How many catfish would the tank comfortably hold without any disputes or unhappy catfish?

3) Any particular likes dislikes with my new fish? Im desperate to keep it alive as I love the look of it and it also wasnt cheap!

4) Fyi, other tankmates when all fish are together are 4 sunset platys, 2 rams, 4 small angel fish and 12 rummy nose tetra. May get more depending on how things go.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Would attach a photo of tank but dont know how, its a rena 380 calvados

Thanks

Alex
BIGblue
Location 1: Sunrise, FL, USA

Re: Hi there

Post by BIGblue »

Kotty wrote:1) The new catfish, jo I call him is very shy and spends most of the time behind the driftwood, motionless for hours on end. The other 2 are very active and go around the whole tank. Ive dropped small pieces of algae wafer and a couple of mushed peas in his vacinity and he appears to eat some but isnt very active. Is this normal?
I've had my leporacanthicus joselimai (L-264) for 7 months now, and he is still shy. It will get a little better with time. The only time he's really active is when its feeding time, otherwise he's hiding under my piece of driftwood.

As far as feeding goes, I haven't had any luck with any veggies, but you should still try to see if he will take veggies. A variety in his diet is important. My L-264 loves brine shrimp and blood worms. I also give him some Tetra Min sinking pellets every once in a while.

Good luck with your new tank and fish.
Image Angel
Kotty
Location 1: London, UK
Interests: Fishkeeping

He come out to play

Post by Kotty »

Its been two weeks and he's come out of his hidey hole. When theres food at the front he pokes his head over the wood and makes his way over :) Ive definitely got a vegetarian though, he loves the peas.

I need to sex him/her though as I want to get it a partner. Says in the cat-e-log that males have bigger head/fin and odontodes on side of head and pectoral fin spine.

Dumb questions but what does an odontode look like? and which ones is the pectoral fin spine?

How do add a picture when you post?

Thanks

Alex
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Dumb questions but what does an odontode look like?
Looks like a thorn/spike. The males will have spiky cheeks and pectoral spines.
How do add a picture when you post?
Read this.

Return to “Speak Easy”