Help..Identify my "Whale"....Catfish

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
FishLuvA
Location 1: Massachusetts

Help..Identify my "Whale"....Catfish

Post by FishLuvA »

We Caught this catfish at a campsite we go to every year...I was told it would not survive in my tank and it has...we have had it for about five months and have had no luck figuring out what kind of catfish it is. We would like to know what we are dealing with. Here is a picture of it. hope someone here can help us. Image
Bonnie
FishLuvA

:?:

Post by FishLuvA »

ok I guess my Picture didn't upload or something can I get some help with that?
Bonnie
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

That's a brown bullhead ().
FishLuvA

Post by FishLuvA »

you can see the picture? how do you know for sure and where can I find out info on it?
Bonnie
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

It might be a black bullhead (), so no, I don't know for sure (but I'm inclined to think it's a brown).

Click the names to find out more info about the fish.
FishLuvA

Thanks A Bunch Silurus !!

Post by FishLuvA »

First let me start off by saying that was the fastest responce I have ever recieved! Wow :o and not only fast, but you were correct the first time it is a brown bullhead, the pictures are identical to the one we caught. now that I know what type of Catfish it is, I do have a few other questions maybe you could help me with those? first I wanted to know how much bigger will it get? How can I tell if it is a He/She? At the moment I have a Jack Dempsy in with it and it likes to chase Jack arround alot at night, should I be worried? Is my Jack in danger? What kind of fish would be safe with it? I don't mean to be a bug if you can't answer these questions for me that's cool, I am really glad to just finally know it is a Brown Bullhead. Thank you again.
Bonnie
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

If you look below the pictures, you will find all the relevant info about your catfish (max size: 20" SL, can be kept with anything it cannot swallow). Bullheads are kinda territorial, though and if you put it in too small a tank, it will most likely beat up tankmates. Your cichlid is in no mortal danger (I presume it's too big to be swallowed by the catfish), but you might expect torn fins every now and then.
diburning
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Post by diburning »

Silurus wrote:If you look below the pictures, you will find all the relevant info about your catfish (max size: 20" SL, can be kept with anything it cannot swallow). Bullheads are kinda territorial, though and if you put it in too small a tank, it will most likely beat up tankmates. Your c*****d is in no mortal danger (I presume it's too big to be swallowed by the catfish), but you might expect torn fins every now and then.
really?? I've kept 3 juvis together and they got along fine (the brown bullheads that is) but maybe thats because they are juviniles...

Return to “What is my catfish?”