Bristlenose spawn (artificially hatched)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bnalbino
Location 1: Morayfield, Qld
Interests: catfish

Bristlenose spawn (artificially hatched)

Post by bnalbino »

Well as some of u know I had a pair of BN spawned on the 27/5/07 but managed to kick the eggs out of the log!!! So at 11pm I was madly syphoning them into a bucket and transferring them into a seive for hand rearing. after 3 days the fry started hatching and as I was moving at the time the got the short end of the stick, they were placed in an icecream dish of water and driven 10kms as they were hatching I kid u not!!!

It took exactly an hr from start to finish for all the eggs to fully hatch with not one loss and no egg went bad with fungus in the incubation period (amazing). Once we arrived at the new place they were transferred back into the same tank with the same water being moved in an esky, the tank there in is housing the Whiptail Pair that spawned not long back which were moved in the esky LOL.

Now the Whiptail fry I have pics posted of elsewhere were in the icecream dish too. Talk about dad and dave and their antics. So with the tank in its new home with the fry back in there fry saver and the eggs in the seive above them they were given a light feed and left to themselves. To this day they are all growing well as can be seen in the following pics and getting darker fast, (it is a real treat to be able to study fry that u cant normally see as it is in the back end of a log).

To date there has been only one fry die after2 days swimming. EVERY egg hatched and in the pics u can see the empty shells.

Tank Specs
2ft, 27deg (eggs were spawned in 24deg)
erm life in a seive is pretty basic LOL no gravel or decorations in there.
there is one pic I have posted which has a bunch of red dots all over the eggs, what is this u ask??? this is my way of counting the eggs, place a dot on them and u cant count it twice LOL

so does anyone want to guess the number off eggs or will u all cheat and count them???
150+ as there were lots u cant see under the others.

Tobah
Location 1: Arizona

Post by Tobah »

Fantastic pics! They are tough little buggers :D
bnalbino

Post by bnalbino »

yeah they seem to have a very strong will to survive
NEONCORY
My cats species list: 18 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: seattle WA USA

Post by NEONCORY »

bnalbino,

Very nice pictures. :razz: And they are so orange. :shock: And to see them develope the black eyes, it is amazing to see the frys develope.
I have done with some corydoras and tetras but never spawn the pleco yet. I just got few ABN month ago but they are still babies and haven't develope the bristle yet. I am looking forward to see them breed.
And I think I'll let them fish do all the work for change. :razz: I have been collecting egs from Corydoras almost everyday and hatch them and feed them and change the dipers(I mean change the water).
Anyway, that is really nice pictures. Are you gonna put the parents pictures in near future? As well as update of the frys?
And one more thing, what kind of camera do you use? If you don't mind asking. I have been wanting to get some decent camera for a while and I am impressed with your pictures. Thanks for sharing.
bnalbino

Post by bnalbino »

NEONCORY wrote:bnalbino,

Very nice pictures. :razz: And they are so orange. :shock: And to see them develope the black eyes, it is amazing to see the frys develope.
I have done with some corydoras and tetras but never spawn the pl*co yet. I just got few ABN month ago but they are still babies and haven't develope the bristle yet. I am looking forward to see them breed.
And I think I'll let them fish do all the work for change. :razz: I have been collecting egs from Corydoras almost everyday and hatch them and feed them and change the dipers(I mean change the water).
Anyway, that is really nice pictures. Are you gonna put the parents pictures in near future? As well as update of the frys?
And one more thing, what kind of camera do you use? If you don't mind asking. I have been wanting to get some decent camera for a while and I am impressed with your pictures. Thanks for sharing.
good to hear ur having luck spawning fish too mate, my camera is a Cannon S2 IS, 5Meg 12X optical zoom and Super Macro function.

yes I am always taking pics of the fry as there changing fast now so its getting very exciting watching them develop, yeah I can show u a pic of some of my BN but cant be sure which female it was as there all together but the dad is the young one so he I can show yep.
bnalbino

Post by bnalbino »

Well I have been taking more pics of these BN fry and here they are,
progressing well and starting to colour up well.

It is interesting to note there is one in there which is much darker than the rest???
anyone have any thoughts on this fish, would it make a better breeder to seperate and rare along as it is has a faster growth rate?
(based purely on the fact it is colouring faster does that mean it will grow faster too)
is it just a natural phenonomen that will even itself out over time?
I am very nearly convinced to seperate and grow out on the same diet and see!!!

the pics below are in the order they were taken meaning the last pic is the most recent, ALSO YES THERE WAS A SMALL AIRSTONE UNDER THE SEIVE.

NEONCORY

Post by NEONCORY »

bnalbino wrote:
good to hear ur having luck spawning fish too mate, my camera is a Cannon S2 IS, 5Meg 12X optical zoom and Super Macro function.

yes I am always taking pics of the fry as there changing fast now so its getting very exciting watching them develop, yeah I can show u a pic of some of my BN but cant be sure which female it was as there all together but the dad is the young one so he I can show yep.

So now I know the secret of your great pictures. I guess I better put some money together and buy me one hopefully soon.
So you have them in the group? You don't have to show the parents picture. I think I saw them on your another thread. I find it after I asked you. :oops:
NEONCORY

Post by NEONCORY »

And thanks for the nice pictures again. Enjoy seeing those little life grow. And it is surprised to see that they are really similar looking to cory frys, especially the last picture. :shock: I guess they are close enough species and they can be look a like when they are still a fry.

Remind me of the pictures at biology class. :lol:
bnalbino

Post by bnalbino »

ur welcome yeah the camera really does good things if I knew more about photography it would take better pics too I bet, yes it is really amazing watching them develop daily, sometimes they change in the space of an hr, there now foraging.
bnalbino

Post by bnalbino »

this is the fry now devouring a lettuce leaf

Mindy
Location 1: Bristol, UK

Post by Mindy »

Wonderful photos. :) It's great to be able to see them develop like that. As you say, it's normally something that occurs out of sight, at the back of the log! How amazing to be able to watch and observe up close.

Though you might be hoping for a bit too much if you're expecting them to learn to eat with a fork! :lol:
KnaveTO
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: Fresh & Saltwater Aquaria; Genealogy; Online Gaming

Post by KnaveTO »

I have relatives that can barely eat with a fork let alone a pl*co ROFL

You get a great idea of the size of the fry with the fork in there

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”