About water chemistry

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Saara
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland
Interests: jogging, reading

About water chemistry

Post by Saara »

Hi,

How tightly should I try to simulate plecos' natural habitat in terms of water chemistry? I am especially interested in plecos living in clear water rivers like Xingu or Tapajos. In my pleco tank KH is 0,5, GH 2,0, pH 7,0 and conductivity 45. If I have understood it right, pH and conductivity should be a bit lower and KH is fine. Or is it... shouldn't I really try to raise KH in order to stabilize pH, but that would also raise pH, wouldn't it?... What to do? I tend to think that I should add CO2 and raise KH at the same time, or should I? And... does conductivity really matter?
Last edited by Saara on 10 Jan 2003, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Ora et labora.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

EVERS/SEIDEL list Xingú as follows:
ph 6,5
1°KH
1°dGH
120µS/cm
Fe <0,05 mg/l
End of the drytime
cheers
Christian
Saara

Post by Saara »

Thanks, Caol_ila. :) I myself have read about clear water conductivity of 8 - 20 microS/cm, but Evers & Seidel is surely a better reference. I have still two questions unanswered: should I try to achieve a KH value that replicates the one in a clear water river or should I raise KH - to about 3 as suggested elsewhere - in order to stabilize pH? Does conductivity matter and should I try to raise conductivity to achieve a conductivity value similar to figures mentioned in Evers & Seidel? Btw, I have already asked this question in my local aquarist web group, but nobody really seemed to know (or willing to tell me :?) the answer...
Ora et labora.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

imho if your tank is working like this id leave it this way...
cheers
Christian
Chill
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 14
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Catfish L-Numbers

Post by Chill »

If your fish are happy, then leave it alone as Caol_ila said.
I breed plecos far off the scale of whats recommended for that specie, so they do addapt over time.
I love L-numbers
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Saara,
Although we do not experience the same seasonal fluctuations here that you would in Europe or North America, the environment here is not static. Water chemistry values can alter radically between the dry and wet season and it is usually this change that sets most spp. of fish to spawning. I would not bother to set my tanks at a specific set of values. Even in Europe your water values will change with the seasons and this change will, somewhat, reflect what is natural for the fish.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Saara

Thank you

Post by Saara »

:D Thank you so much all of you!
Ora et labora.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”