pictus cats, peruvian and columbian disgressions

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

pictus cats, peruvian and columbian disgressions

Post by Zack »

Hi, I just picked up two new pictus these ones were different from the ones already in the tank, they were peruvian. They have been hiding for a few days now, only coming out for food, but today they have started coming out and "cruising" with the rest of the gang, the only problem is the columbians seem to be picking on them. They arent much smaller than the columbians, is this a territorie thing?? or do the two simply not mix well?? Will it resolve itself soon enough?? Will they eventualy end up schooling and playing together or will the two kinds always be sort of localitie specific (only school/interact with the pictus that are like them)?
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

also whats the ideal tank? and settup for them?? Thanks
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It may be due to the fact that the colombians were already established in the tank and are picking on the new guys. You might want to try rearranging the tank decor to see if this will help. Ultimately, it may boil down to population/species difference. After all, what is currently recognized as <i>P. pictus</i> is probably a complex of several different species.
As for the ideal setup, look for the "Natural Catfish Aquarium" article by Shane on this site and read the section about a river bank setup.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”