Breeding Cave Dimensions

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jjkolodz
My cats species list: 14 (i:1, k:10)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:7)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: Upper Saddle River
Location 2: NJ

Breeding Cave Dimensions

Post by jjkolodz »

I have some common bristlenose and L183 plecos. They are juvies right now but I am hoping to breed them one day (just for the fun of it). What dimensions do the breeding caves need to be... how big does the opening have to be, etc?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

In my experience, the male isn't very picky about cave sizes, as long as it's otherwise suitable (and that CAN be a bit of a difficulty to find). One way to ensure the male is happy with the entrance size is to place the cave such that it's part submersed in the substrate - the male will then dig out a suitable hole to enter, and it will be "right for him".

The cave itself doesn't have to be snug, but the entrance must be such a size that the male can trap the female in there, and keep "enemies" out.

As this is dependant on the size of the fish, it's hard to put a "rule" to it. As I said above, one way to make it suitable is to have the male "enlarge" the opening himself (my first brood came from a cave dug by the male under a flat piece of slate laying on the gravel - worked perfectly).

--
Mats
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

One type of cave I use for breeding my Ancistrus sp. 3 that has worked well is made from two 4 inch clay pot drain pans. One is inverted and placed over the bottom pan. I notch the edge of the inverted top pan to provide a one inch opening.

This design tends to prevent ejection of the egg mass and costs about $0.75 US to build. You may glue them together with a dab of silicone sealant or what I do; just place a stone on the top.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”