Sculpey Clay

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
jjkolodz
My cats species list: 14 (i:1, k:10)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:7)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: Upper Saddle River
Location 2: NJ

Sculpey Clay

Post by jjkolodz »

I wasn't sure where to post this but I think I'm at the right place.

I was wondering if sculpey clay was aquarium safe. I was thinking of making some pleco caves from it and wasn't sure if this would be a good idea.

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I think it's safe - it's classified as non-toxic, so that should be fine.

However, I don't know if it's worth the bother - you can make pleco caves many other ways - slate "glued" with aquarium silicon is one of the more popular.

Plastic (PVC) pipes are also common, as is terracotta saucers and pots in various shapes and with or without cutting them in some way (terracotta is easy to cut if you soak it in water and use a normal hacksaw - or if you already have a tile-cutter, that's the ideal tool for this).

I have some caves where I've drilled a large hole in a piece of wood - this requires a GOOD power-drill, high-torque battery powered ones are the best for this, at least if you want it done "this year", e.g. using an Auger bit (expensive if you want one that lasts too - I paid nearly 20 pounds for a 32mm auger bit). Using flat-blade bits will also work, and requires less of a good power-drill, but drilling deep holes in harder types of wood will take some effort - it's probably worth spending a bit extra on the drill-bit here, as the cheap noname brand ones tend to dull quite easily.

--
Mats
chris 1
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: London. England

Post by chris 1 »

I posted a similar question on PF some time ago, heres the link.Hope it helps.
http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/show ... light=fimo
Chris
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I have been using ceramic stone colored floor tiles. The "big box" hardware stores often cut them into the desired sized strips for free. They only require me to mark them where I want the cuts. One can build a couple of Hypancistrus sized caves out of one tile for only about $1.50 US. I silicone the pieces together.

Since the tiles are already perfect squares it makes it easier to work with than slate that is often only available in irregular shapes and variable thicknesses.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

apistomaster wrote:I have been using ceramic stone colored floor tiles. The "big box" hardware stores often cut them into the desired sized strips for free. They only require me to mark them where I want the cuts. One can build a couple of Hypancistrus sized caves out of one tile for only about $1.50 US. I silicone the pieces together.

Since the tiles are already perfect squares it makes it easier to work with than slate that is often only available in irregular shapes and variable thicknesses.
Slate tiles for roofing are good even thickness and square cornered rectangular shape, same with flooring tiles made form slate - roofing ones are the best quality (and most expensive!). And if you have a tile-cutter anyways, odd shapes don't really make much difference. The cheapo chinese-made versions can be had for about $50 - but if you aren't into that, then as you say, find a tiling shop that will cut to shape for you - if you only wont one, two or four simple cuts, it's not going to cost a lot to get that done.

--
Mats

Return to “Speak Easy”