Rio Madeira Catfish questions

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Rio Madeira Catfish questions

Post by TiGrInUs »

I know M. Tigrinus and B. Flavicans can be found in the Rio Madeira but does anyone know if B. Juruense can be found here also. Also can jau catfish(zungaro zungaro) be found in the rio madeira? I want to start a strictly Rio madeira tank. A list of fish found from this river(i think im dreaming now) would be awesome! Thanks for any help!

~Tigrinus4life~
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

ahhh..just saw on the website B. Juruense comes from the Rio Jurua..is this the only river?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Here's what I found on the web:
<i>Brachyplatystoma juruense</i> has been reported from the Jurua, Puru, Solimoes, Apure and Aguaro River drainages, and there are no records of <i>Z. zungaro</i> from the Rio Madeira.
Other large pimelodids found in this drainage: <i>Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum</i>, <i>Leiarius marmoratus</i>, <i>Hemisorubim platyrhynchos</i>, <i>Sorubim lima</i>, <i>Phractocephalus hemioliopterus</i>, <i>Platystomatichthys sturio</i>, <i>Calophysus macropterus</i> and <i>Pinirampus pinirampu</i>. This list is by no means exhaustive.
The list of fish from this drainage had almost 3000 records and would be way too big to list here.
Hope this helps.

Heok Hee
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Tigrinus,

"I know M. Tigrinus and B. Flavicans can be found in the Rio Madeira but does anyone know if B. Juruense can be found here also. Also can jau catfish(zungaro zungaro) be found in the rio madeira? I want to start a strictly Rio madeira tank. A list of fish found from this river(i think im dreaming now) would be awesome! Thanks for any help! "

Most of these big pims can also be found in the Orinoco drainages. A very interesting study (Have any free students Heok Hee?) would be to compare specimens from the Orinoco system to specimens from the Amazonas drainages and determine if these are all the same species, subspecies, or new fish that just look a lot like their Amazonian cousins.

In the Orinoco B juruense is known as cunaguaro or bagre manta it can be found in white and clear waters and is one of the commonest big pims in the Apure River.
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

Interesting...Thanks for the help people!
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

Hello,

I have no experience or knowledge of any of these fish, so I won't contribute, but... silurus, do you have an online resource for such river specific inhabitants? I've been looking for good xingu mid or topwater swimmers for my stingray tank...
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Actually, all I did was to check the online databases of museum records just to see what species of fish are found in a particular drainage.
The caveat to using this method is that the database identifies fish that are sympatric (found in the same drainage), but does not say whether or not the species are actually syntopic (found in the same habitat); this may lead to mixing lowland species with species living in the upper reaches of the river in the same tank (in the wild, these fish would never have the chance to interact). Although if you have a fair knowledge of the river system at hand, you can sort of guess if the species may be syntopic by looking at the collection localities.
Here's what I found (using a very cursory search) for top-and midwater fish in the Rio Xingu that may be available in the aquarium trade (pretty slim pickings, I think):
<i>Satanoperca jurupari</i>
<i>Crenicichla labrina</i>
<i>Hemiodus quadrimaculatus</i>
<i>Leporinus fasciatus</i>
<i>Heros severus</i>
Sorry, no catfish here. I'm not even sure if these fish would be syntopic since my working knowledge of neotropical fish is limited. But there are loricariids fairly well-established in the trade that are found in the Rio Xingu.
If you want to do the search yourself, I suggest trying the Neodat database at http://www.neodat.org/data/search1.htm. You can look for species in any given South American river drainage.

Heok Hee
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Anyone of you know about Lophiosilurus alexandri popping up in the trade?
It seems to me this is ONE INTERESTING big pimelodid; the 'chaca' of S America!

or perhaps some lucky bum already has this fish?
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Actually, it's already in the trade. Check out the picture in the Cat-eLog.
Here are some more pictures I found of the fish in aquaria from a simple google search:
http://www.aquajapan.com/encyc/catfish/ ... dri_e.html
http://www.aqua-terra-net.de/Hydro/Sond ... r/W045.jpg
http://www.petpet.ne.jp/zukan/fwfishinfo.asp?kind=209
And here are places where you can buy one:
http://www.bubblesaquatics.com/stock.html
http://www.fishopolis.ca/stocklistbelowwater.htm

Heok Hee
TiGrInUs

Post by TiGrInUs »

Lophiosilurus alexandri -i never understodd why they labled this as a pim..it does look pretty interesting though. I saw some in a tank with tiger rays.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”