Panda cories fins a mess!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Light_Bright
Location 1: Canada
Interests: Aquariums

Panda cories fins a mess!

Post by Light_Bright »

Hi I just bought 3 panda cories and have them in a quarentine tank. Their fins are a mess... looks like finrot. I have peppers, albinos and bronzes already but this is my first time dealing with sick cories. My question is... should I wait to see if they are starting to heal or start medicating now? What would you suggest for meds? I am in Canada so there isn't any problem getting meds. This is the first time I have ever seen Panda cories and paid a lot for them...they are something we don't get here often.

Thanks

Susan
Bigdan
Location 1: Greensboro, NC U.S.A.
Interests: CATFISH for sure,movies,music, and all types of freshwater aquaria

medication for finrot

Post by Bigdan »

You should try Melafix-it's supposed to be good for this disease. :P -Bigdan
Nina
Location 1: Finland

Post by Nina »

My advice is start medicating straight away but be careful about the dosage, you may wanna try half-dosage first. As many other catfishes, Pandas are very sensitive towards the colouring agents in found in meds, and may suffer skin damage if you use the normal dosage. Some meds have a warning about this in the instruction leaflet but just in case there isn't. Also, make sure you have a powerful filter in the tank and plenty of oxygen in the water.

Unfortunately I can't advice about the names of the products cause I'm sure you don't have the same as we have here in Finland.

I have kept and occasionally bred Pandas for some years, lovely fish and easy to obtain here. They spawn quite easily in clean, soft water, approximately neutral pH and heavy current.

Good luck with your pandas, hope they get well soon!
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

i have bought panda's that had some fin trouble and the same with the barbells.. i just put them into a quarentine tank and feed them good quality foods and they all grew back fine... and to this date are doing fine.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I would advise the addition of a full recomended dose of Melafix, I have only recently started using it with incredable results.

Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”