Albino panda corys

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Azaezl
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Huntingdon, Cambs, UK
Location 2: Huntingdon, UK
Interests: Fish, Music, Films, Clothes, Video games

Albino panda corys

Post by Azaezl »

I was just wondering if anyone has come across or keeps albino panda corys. One of my local fish shops has some albino panda corys in stock at the moment(imported from singapore). They aren't happy with them as they look like ordinary pandas but are very pale(the black patches looking a greyish colour) and if I recall rightly their eyes looked slightly different, had more of a 'glare' to them if that makes sense? The best way I can describe them is when a panda is stressed and goes pale, that's what they looked like but with weird looking eyes, I promise to get a picture next time I visit :lol:. What I was curious about is whether this is what albino pandas look like or if they are supposed to be similar in appearance to say an albino aeneus with the creamy colouration & pink / red eyes.
Television is reality and reality less than television
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Albino panda corys

Post by MatsP »

I can't find any useful info on Albino panda corys, but of course almost all creatures have a "no colour genetic key" somewhere, it's just a case of inbreeding until you find it sort of thing [not saying that ALL albinism is caused by inbreeding, but it's one of the ways to generate it "on demand"].

Care should be the same as the normal coloured fish - mainly "not too warm".

--
Mats
Azaezl

Post by Azaezl »

I had the same problem, can't really find any specifics on them, obviously care will be the same but I was just curious about the actual colour of them. The shop won't sell them yet as they aren't convinced that they are albinos so I thought I'd take it upon myself to see if I can find info as to whether the shop is being a little too picky I think perhaps they were expecting them to be like albino aeneus but smaller. If they do go on sale I probably will pick up half a dozen as they were stunning.
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

When I started breeding C. panda, I got some albinos in the first batches of fry. they were white with red eyes and I guess at first glance they could be mistaken for other albino Corys, but they had a different bodyshape than aeneus and paleatus. I'm sorry I didn't take any pics back then :-/

In Germany there is a breeding strain of C. panda that is white but with black eyes, so they're not albino. They are rather expensive compared to "normal" pandas.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
Azaezl

Post by Azaezl »

Thanks for the info Kim :thumbsup: I guess the 'albino' that the shop has in are just a slight colour morph and not true albinos then, still they are very very beautiful and I'm hoping they will put them up for sale so I can get some.
AndiH
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Iron Range of Minnesota, USA

Post by AndiH »

Sorry for bringing up such an old thread, but it fits my situation.

A while ago, I found some eggs not eaten yet so transferred them to a net breeder. All for hatched, but one has since disappeared (dead I assume). The other 3 seem healthy but while 2 already look like pandas, one is missing the markings, but has black eyes. From my research, he would be considered amelanistic as opposed to a true, red-eyed albino. What I'm trying to figure out is this a recessive trait or more of a genetic fluke? All the adult pandas have normal coloration.
Melander
I've donated: $10.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 18 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:4)
My BLogs: 6 (i:1, p:160)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Wicklow
Location 2: Ireland

Post by Melander »

I think this has to do with intensive breeding. I have noticed that allot of the pandas sold today are quite pale with faded grey-brownish markings(perhaps mass produced/linebreed?) instead of black, while pictures of wildcaughts always seems to show individuals with black markings and a more rusty look.

My group consist of adults from two different sources and they produce both black ones and the occasional one with faded markings, the pictures below are two extremes produced from my group. I don't know if this depends on the parent fish or if it comes up randomly, however one of the adult females is quite light and it could be that it is carried down from her.

Black markings:
Black.jpg
Faded marking:
Faded.jpg
Would be interesting to hear more thoughts on this.

B.t.w: did you buy any from the store?

Melander
AndiH
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Iron Range of Minnesota, USA

Post by AndiH »

It was a true white, not a faded black/gray, but it has since died. It always had been littler than the other two, but had seemed healthy enough. I had bought from a store, in 2 different batches. Of course, no clue which ones were the parents.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”