How does it eat?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mr.gobie
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Livonia, MI
Location 2: Michigan

How does it eat?

Post by mr.gobie »

Does anyone know how the pl*co eats, as in if it is a chemical bond and breaks down the alge or if it uses pressure. Any reply would be great!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: How does it eat?

Post by MatsP »

First of all, not all plecos eat algae - many species, particularly the "new" L-numbered ones, are not good algae-eaters.

But I believe (and this is just my understanding of the issue) answer to how algae-eating plecos get energy from the algae is mainly be chemical breakdown, probably assisted by bacteria that lives in it's intestine. Herbivore (algae-eating) plecos have long intestines, so it's reasonable to believe that there is a slow chemical process going on there. Carnivores in the same family have shorter intestines, which is corresponding to the less difficult breakdown of the food (such as insect larvae and crustaceans). This applies not only to fish, but you will find that mammals that are herbivore have longer/more complex gastric systems than those of a more (or completely) carnivore nature, e.g. compare a cow's intesting with that of a domestic cat.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”