tank size!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
big_tank_boy
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: U.S.A

tank size!

Post by big_tank_boy »

wat size tank do u need for a TSN or a Arius leptaspis or a oxydoras niger or a megalodoras or a Bagarius yarrelli or a Bagarius bagarius or a Bagarius rutilus or a a lima shovelnose or a Platynematichthys notatus or a Platystomatichthys sturio. wat ever size tank they go in im gona get a jardian arowana with them.
taksan
My images: 3
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia and Uk
Location 2: Sydney and Surrey

Re: tank size!

Post by taksan »

Why don't you decide on what species you want first ? or not ....or do ....or not ....or do :lol:
big_tank_boy

Post by big_tank_boy »

well the first 4 are my favorite but im willing to get a big enough tank for any of them right now. just got a lot of cash off selling some of my baby rays and RGTS.
CFC
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: London, England
Interests: Angling, cookery, predatory fish

Post by CFC »

Why don't you just put them in the 1000g you said you had?

Anyway if you plan on getting a jardini arowana then you'll need two tanks as once the jardini reaches adulthood it will start trying to kill everything in the tank, they are the most aggressive of all the arowana species and rarely mix well with other fish.
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

It is often quoted to have a footprint that is 4 times the length of an adult fish by twice the length of the adult fish as an acceptable minimum.

So if a TSN gets to 3 foot, the tank should be 12 foot by 6 foot minimum, (if it gets to 4 foot, it needs 16x8 feet).

If a B.Yarrelli gets to 6 foot TL, the tank should be 24 foot by 12 foot minimum
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
big_tank_boy

Post by big_tank_boy »

yea that was my plan but i just cant put a 5 inch TSN with a 2 foot long RTC X TSN and a large larius and a few diff arowanas. this is just for a grow out and all will go into a large heated pond. so they wont even be in the 1000 gallon for life more like a 50 long 30 wide and like 10 deep. all in feet and its more of something i can get into and try not to get anilated by them.
CFC

Post by CFC »

Wow that will be the largest privately owned set up in the world!!

Can we see some photos of your 1000g tank i always like to see pictures of other peoples big set ups, heres a picture of my 1000g system

big_tank_boy

Post by big_tank_boy »

yea man ill get some pics tonight.
taksan
My images: 3
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia and Uk
Location 2: Sydney and Surrey

Post by taksan »

CFC wrote:Wow that will be the largest privately owned set up in the world!!

Can we see some photos of your 1000g tank i always like to see pictures of other peoples big set ups, heres a picture of my 1000g system

Good to see your tank up and running its 8' x 6' x 3' from memory ?

hows its going ?
CFC

Post by CFC »

Well its only 2.5 feet tall but yes 8x6 foot print. Its all been running smoothly for nearly a year now, theres a few little things i'd do differently if i were starting again, like not bothering with the textured background as the rays think its great fun to chew bits off it and let it float around the tank, and fitting more filter outlets, the filter works fantasticly biologically but i never seem to get that crystal clear polished water, but then maybe thats just not going to happen with a 2 foot long L.pictus kicking the bottom up all the time.
T4FR
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: Wageningen, Nederland

Post by T4FR »

Richard B wrote:It is often quoted to have a footprint that is 4 times the length of an adult fish by twice the length of the adult fish as an acceptable minimum.
That sound rather small to me...

The thumb-rule I learned and use for normal (read: small) fish is 10 times the adult fish length should be the minimum length of the tank. A reasonable minimum height and depth would be a half or one third of the minimum length. For fish that don't move much the minimum length is 7-8 times the adult fish length. With again a reasonable minimum height and depth of a half or one third of the minimum length. For quite active fish 12 times the adult fish length should be the minimum length of the tank, with again a reasonable height and depth.

Do you know why big fish need so little room? Or is it just that the owners of big fish can't/don't want to by appropriate homes for there fish?
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I do agree that a footprint of 4L *2 L is rather small, even for a quiet fish. However, a quiet catfish is much quieter than any other fish, and for a quiet catfish this footprint might suffice

However, for any other fish it is much too small. Personally, I keep 8 L * 3L, but my 400 * 100 cm tank is only recently stocked with Parachromis motaguensae, reaching 35 cm. Before it was Chuco miropthalmus as largest fish - at 25 cm. The Chuco are, however, much more active
cats have whiskers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”