Catfish chasing each other?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Blackhawker
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: San Diego

Catfish chasing each other?

Post by Blackhawker »

Hi I have two smaller catfish, one featherfin and another one of the "hybrids" from petsmart. Both are around 3-4 inches now with the featherfin being fatter. They constantly chase each other around, in my 15 gallon tank. I know the tank is small atm, but I'm letting my new 75 gal cycle. Are they being territorial and fighting, or are they playing with each other? thanks.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Catfish chasing each other?

Post by Birger »

Are they being territorial and fighting, or are they playing with each other?
Even when mixing species of synodontis two is a bad number, one will almost always bully the other.Three will spread the aggression but the two will pick on the third.Generally Synodontis usually do best in groups of five or more.Of course there is always the exception but this is a good general rule.

Birger
Birger
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Re: Catfish chasing each other?

Post by Chrysichthys »

To minimise the fighting, when they go in the larger tank, make sure there are hiding places at both ends, and hopefully each fish will be happy with half of the tank as its own territory. However, I can't guarantee that this will work.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)

Return to “Speak Easy”