Rineloricaria eigenmanni

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
leej24
My cats species list: 24 (i:2, k:0)
Location 2: Wisconsin

Rineloricaria eigenmanni

Post by leej24 »

I know I posted a picture of this fish in the past and asked someone to help ID it. According to the LFS I bought it from, it supposed to be R. eigenmanni.

Anyhow, I originally purchased 4 of them, one died right away, but the three survivors ended up being 1m/2f. I purchased 3 more after that just to make sure I had males and females. After the first ones I got matured (male got a nice beard, females got plump) I went and got some PVC pipes and fixed them up to the exact measurements in the R. eigenmanni breeding article. Not long after that the male went in and started cleaning the PVC pipe.

They're currently in a 20long with some juvenile green BNs, calico BNs and black bar endlers. So far the other fish are leaving them alone.

Now the male and one of the females have been in there for about 2 days but no action, yet. I'm hoping that they get their groove on in a couple of days. Cross my fingers.
hotplecogirl
Location 2: Boston,USA

Re: Rineloricaria eigenmanni

Post by hotplecogirl »

Good luck.I have had three females for a year now all very fat and big,still can't find a male :(
leej24

Post by leej24 »

Thanks! I hope you do find a male :)
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Were the original ones & then the second lot from the same batch? I just wonder if they weren't if they are all the same species as some of these are extremely difficult to tell apart & LFS id's are not good at all.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
leej24

Post by leej24 »

Richard B wrote:Were the original ones & then the second lot from the same batch? I just wonder if they weren't if they are all the same species as some of these are extremely difficult to tell apart & LFS id's are not good at all.
I believe they were from the same batch. I'm about 95% confident they are. I can take pictures of them if/when they breed. What can I do to trigger them to actually spawn? They're still in the tube.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”