Combining Farlowella and Panaque maccus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
thijs
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Wageningen, Netherlands

Combining Farlowella and Panaque maccus

Post by thijs »

Hi,

Kan Farlowella's be combined with Panaque maccus? I consider combineing them in my 1 meter P. maccus-biotope. According the description Farlowella can not be be combined with larger pleco's, but is P. maccus a bigger species? ( I mean: they are shorter.....but more broad).....

Any experience?

Thanks,
Thijs
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Combining Farlowella and Panaque maccus

Post by MatsP »

I haven't kept Farlowella, but I would expect them to keep in their separate areas for the most part - and both are relatively friendly, so I doubt it'd be a problem. They also don't compete for food very much, so that shouldn't cause a problem, as long as you have plenty of wood for the P. maccus.

--
Mats
thijs
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Wageningen, Netherlands

Post by thijs »

Okay, time to keep my eyes out for some farlowella vittatus. I hope to post a picture of my tank soon, but the is pretty hard to see through all the wood ;)

And that was a very quick reply, thanks...
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

thijs wrote:Okay, time to keep my eyes out for some farlowella vittatus. I hope to post a picture of my tank soon, but the is pretty hard to see through all the wood ;)
Sounds like my Panaque tank - and when I move the wood about in the tank, it looks like coffee with the coffee-grinds still in the pot...

--
Mats
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Post by vanillarum »

I have had 2 types of farlos (vitatta and acus) in a tank with the maccus for close to 2 years now and never had a problem. The farlos pretty much keep to themselves, staying hidden among the amazon swords. And the plecos are happy in their wood caves. They are in a 46 gal BF tank, along with some L333s, and an L240. Never had a problem. I, too, am looking for a couple more vitattas. Good luck.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

As long as there is ample "swimming" or should I say "hopping" room for the Farlowellas and enough food, they should do okay. I have Farlowellas in with Corydoras trilineatus and the Farlowellas breed regularly.
Amanda

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”