L255 Ancistrus sp.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Farid
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Switzerland/Zurich

L255 Ancistrus sp.

Post by Farid »

hi folks,
this morning at 4 Am i got 12 healthy L255 Ancistrus sp. in a styrobox

the animals are about 9-11cm big!

i still have no clue about their sexes...

impressive antennas :)

also the mouth is gigantic

the empty tank...

farid
My cats L2,49,47,46,L66,134,181,189,200,201,204,205,208,260,397,LG6,Parotocinclus recife/halderoi,A.ranunculus,Peckoltia sp. "rio palacio",Pseudohemiodon platycephalus/lamina,Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus,Rineloricaria lanceolata,St.festivum,Akysis vespa,Bunocephalus corracoides,Synodontis multipunctatus/grandiops, C.panda,adolfoi,cruziensis
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: L255 Ancistrus sp.

Post by Birger »

Now those are some good looking catfish...they are in good hands!

Birger
Birger
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

those are some sweet ancistrus!! and i agree totally, those are mighty lucky fish to land up in your casa! :thumbsup:
krazyGeoff
I've donated: $110.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 12
My cats species list: 27 (i:1, k:2)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:410)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Woodville
Location 2: New Zealand
Interests: Fish and Cats

Post by krazyGeoff »

Hi Farid,
How are you?
They are some nice looking fish!

If they are anything like L034 in terms of sexing, then the males have thicker bristles, and usually more rows of bristles.

I have marked on your picture some guessing to show what I mean.
81668.jpg
Regards
Geoff
brechtvh
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Belgium

Post by brechtvh »

I was interested in buying some of those fish, but I read that it is one of the hardest fish to keep.
DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

Post by DJ-don »

great catch Farid!

i love the bristles on these fish!! its so cool!! :foggie:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

brechtvh wrote:I was interested in buying some of those fish, but I read that it is one of the hardest fish to keep.
I don't think they are technically hard to KEEP, but from what I understand, they can be quite hard to settle into an aquarium - I'm not sure what it is they are sensitive to or what lacks in the aquarium, compared to their natural habitat. But once they are settled in captivity, they aren't terribly hard to keep, as far as I can tell.

But they are by no means an easy species to get settled - Jools have tried a couple of times, I think he said, and ended with no survivors.

--
Mats
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

Love the tank set-up. How large is it? Will there be anything else in the tank (plants or dither fish)? I'm trying to figure out how to decorate my 75 gallon tank (http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =5&t=30237). I love how you have flat stones on the floor. Any more tank pics you can share?
Farid
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Switzerland/Zurich

Post by Farid »

thanks guys for all yur inputs!!

@geoff
i know what you mean 8) i guess i got a good mixture ...as three more od even vfour more have heavy bristels :) so it is perfect.

@mats
the hard part to keep them as i also got L34, is wat i can tell that they sometimes need to get a dose agains amobeas (r what you ever call it...maybe worm in their digestion tract...so i guess just to make sure i will start with a treatment soon as i see that they are eating well...but in my opinion i dont like the anti-worm session much. i'll see

out of 8 or 9 L34 i have 4 left...they are now no problem to keep. i actually never see them during eating...anything...and they are very shy. they measure only about 6cm.

also the bellies are always quite empty as it seems to me. not like a fully well fed ansitrus as we see them usually.

what still surprises me is their breathing-frequence. they breath very fast even after no action at all...
all my tanky are run by airfilters sometimes inkl. a 2500L/h nanostream (tunze)...it doesnt matter...they keep breathing fast...

i still will have to find out about the L255 but until now they are activ and beheaving good.

farid
My cats L2,49,47,46,L66,134,181,189,200,201,204,205,208,260,397,LG6,Parotocinclus recife/halderoi,A.ranunculus,Peckoltia sp. "rio palacio",Pseudohemiodon platycephalus/lamina,Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus,Rineloricaria lanceolata,St.festivum,Akysis vespa,Bunocephalus corracoides,Synodontis multipunctatus/grandiops, C.panda,adolfoi,cruziensis
ChanggyChinggy
My images: 1
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Macau

Post by ChanggyChinggy »

Hi Farid and Everyone,

I just get one L255 about a week ago and I found out this bristle is really a special pleco which i found the difficulty in keeping.
It's been a week i hardly see him eating and it just keep breathing very fast, i did saw him moving his fins works like some kind of ventilation, i start worrying about him for the starving problem, i feed my plecos algae wafers, pallets, some veggie such as a small piece of pumpkin or zucchini every other day; since he neither go to touch the veggie nor the wafers, i even fed him some sinking food for tetras, but still can't see him eating.

I would like to know what is the eating habit of your bristles?
Thank you very much!
DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

Post by DJ-don »

heavy breathing in any pleco generally could mean low oxygen or its got gill flukes. I would try maybe adding a powerhead because i hear they live in high oxygenated waters
FuglyDragon
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:17, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:8)
Location 1: New Zealand
Location 2: New Zealand
Interests: Plecos !

Post by FuglyDragon »

mine are definately happier in a highly oxygenated swift current type setting. they seem to do ok on courgette and my general shrimp / spirulina / peas / agar mix
Check out my pages on plecos in New Zealand http://mikesaquatics.co.nz
stensson
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Sweden

Post by stensson »

I´ve got three pcs and they are really nice. Not so shy like some other catfish.

Your tank look really great,think I gonna rearrange mine to something simular.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”