Help Me too: I'm losing my pleco

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Roswalien_lady
Location 2: SAINT LOUIS, MO

Help Me too: I'm losing my pleco

Post by Roswalien_lady »

My pleco use to be Dark, vibrant, happy, healthy and full of energy but i recently had a bout with ich. i lost all the guppies but 5. I got rid of the ich but the pleco's eyes bulged painfully. I thought he had pop-eye. 4 days ago I starged treating w/ Marcyin and Maroxy. His eyes are nolonger protruding. Now they're sunken in, away from his skull?. They still have the cloudiness. he's not eating and he's pale.
He looks like this nowImage
he used to look like this before the ich outbreak

as you can imagine. my heart is breaking. he's got to be over 10 yrs old. any suggestion?
pickles4601
My cats species list: 18 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: pittsburgh

Re: Tank Help

Post by pickles4601 »

That sucks about your plec. I wish I could offer you some advice but Idk....
Could you start your own thread as it might get confusing getting advice about two issues in o.e thread.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Help Me too: I'm losing my pl*co

Post by Birger »

Roswalien_lady, I did move this for the reasons stated above and you may get a better response about your Pleco this way.

Birger
Birger
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Re: Help Me too: I'm losing my pl*co

Post by pleco_breeder »

I fought a similar battle on L71 last winter. I can't say that I found a positive cure, but would like to see an updated pic showing the current status of the eyes to verify that it's the same thing.

Larry

P.S. forgot to add that it would be a good idea to dose heavily with a good water conditioner as a precaution. Excessive heavy metals in the water was one of the potential conclusions I came to as the symptoms seemed to get worse every time I did a water change to try to improve tank conditions. Fresh activated carbon seemed to help get rid of the issue also.
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.

Return to “Tank Talk”