extra efficient RO filter

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
worton[pl]
My images: 2
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

extra efficient RO filter

Post by worton[pl] »

Hello,

well I'm wondering what kind of water filters do you usually use in your fishrooms? I have 2 RO filters but they are not efficient because of amount of water around 6000 liters in my system. They just can't copy with all waterchanges I need. Is there any high efficient (around 1000l/day) RO unit or maybe you use other method of softering water?

Regards.
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: extra efficient RO filter

Post by MatsP »

Something like this, perhaps?
http://www.osmotics.co.uk/6-stage-450-g ... p-444.html

--
Mats
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

Part of your problem could just be water pressure. I have a 100 gallon a day RO but with my water pressure I can only get about 20 a day. They make pumps to increase the pressure but I have not tried one yet as they are expensive.
-Trent
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Trent makes a good point.

With regards to the "Other options", it seems that using RO is the by far most cost-effective way to produce soft water (unless water is prohibitly expensive, as RO water also produces a large amount of waste-water, which can be difficult).

--
Mats
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
You could try rain-water. I've always used it, but I live in a rural area of the SW UK.
cheers Darrel
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I think you need a very large collecting area to guarantee enough water for a moderate 25% water change on a 6000 liter system. Not to mention large storage butts.

--
Mats
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I would want at least 3 or 4 55 US gal/208 liters plastic water barrels of storage capacity for a 6000 liter system.
A 300 US gal/1000 liters per day RO system would be nice because it can operate at a little less than ideal conditions and still meet most needs. Any RO system of that capacity should include or be designed to use a pressure pump to operate the RO unit at optimum pressures/capacity. The hard part of obtaining optimum RO unit performance is being able to use warmer water than most main water supplies run during the winter. I know my unit is more productive during the summer than it is in the winter.
I am watching for deals because I hope to get a high output RO unit in the near future. My small 60 US gal/227liters per day RO unit is close to needing a new membrane and it is better to apply that expense to a much higher out RO unit.
I have about half as much water but it is always nice to minimize the time it takes to refill your RO reservoirs.
My city water is softer now than it has been in the past. They are drawing from a different well and my TDS has dropped from the old 340 ppm down to only 225 ppm TDS. 225 ppm TDS is not all that bad for from the tap water.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “Tank Talk”