Banjo Catfish with tumor?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ozgrrl2
Location 1: San Diego, CA
Location 2: San Diego

Banjo Catfish with tumor?

Post by ozgrrl2 »

Hi all.

I havent posted in quite some time, but I do lurk and read through many of your interesting posts :)

I have a banjo catfish who is approx 8 yrs old. I noticed this week he isnt "out and about" as he normally is. Generally when I place bloodworms in he's at them in a pinch! He also gets the usual stuff like sinking algae pellets and other catfish food.

Well while doing my fortnightly water change [40% - 7.8 PH - 28 G tank - 3 aquatic apple snails as his only companions] ....I discovered he has 3 nasty "tumor like" bubbles on his body :( One waspretty big and redddish/pink! 2 were on his back and the other half way down his tail. It also looks like he has one starting on his from fin.

He didnt fight me as much as he normally does when I pick him up [which is rare] and he certainly isnt as feisty as he normally is. I will attempt to get some pictures today withouth bothering him too much. Im just curious if anyone is able to give me any advice for my ol' guy. I am terrified I will lose him.

Thanks for any advice. GREATLY appreciated.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Banjo Catfish with tumor?

Post by MatsP »

It's not just shedding it's skin (these do "molt")?

A photo would be a good idea, I think.

By the way, my Banjo's do not "fight" when I pick them up... They do swim away when I let them go, but they are as near "dead" as a fish can be when it's still alive.

--
Mats
ozgrrl2

Post by ozgrrl2 »

OK...just tried to take a few pictures.
Im sorry they are so blurry but you can see the two lumps that are on his body and the redness starting to form around the lump on his from fin.... I also just noticed his little front "feeler" is short [the one on his right side] could this be some sort of fin rot?
Attachments
QuincyLump2.jpg
QuincyLump1.jpg
ozgrrl2

Post by ozgrrl2 »

MatsP wrote:It's not just shedding it's skin (these do "molt")?
He molts often...definately not a molt he's going through.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

That does look like a cyst of some sort. I don't know if it's a tumor or some other cause, but I do agree it's not molting.

To me it looks like the barbels ("feelers") are OK, just a different angle - but the photo isn't sharp enough to say for sure.

--
Mats
ozgrrl2

Post by ozgrrl2 »

Is there any sort of medication I can try to see if it will 'heal' up?

Perhaps up the WC's to once a week to keep water extra clean? Any tips on how to go about making him comfortable? UGH ~ I hate the thought of him being miserable. :cry:
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

As I understand it, it's usually caused by a form of virus (similar to warts in humans - but quite possibly not at all a related virus).

Doing more frequent water changes is never a bad idea. I change about 50% of the water each week in my tanks.

--
Mats
ozgrrl2

Post by ozgrrl2 »

OK...sounds good! Thanks so much!
Also, I will try to get a better pic today.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I've seen a cyst on an Ancistrus sp. male once. It was on the end of one of his tentacles and got large very, very quickly(24 hour period). I put him in a quarantine tank. It got larger and larger and it burst on its own in another day. I used no medicine, but frequent partial water changes(daily) and lots of aeration. He's still doing fine.
Amanda
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Lymphocitystis virus is a candidate for these lesions but that has not been proven yet to my knowledge.
The seem to be rarely fatal among fresh water fish and often go away as easily as they appear.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
ozgrrl2

Post by ozgrrl2 »

Thanks for your replys.

So far Quincy seems to be "OK" ....I've been upping the water changes. Hope this is nothing serious. The little cysts are still there.

I have been keeping an eye on him more then ever this week. I sure appreciate your help and information.
RoseFishWatcher
Location 1: Colorado

Post by RoseFishWatcher »

I have 3 banjos and see those types of bumps regularly. They always seem to vanish for me as well. I've had these fish several years. They seem to have more bumps lately, and I recently discovered leeches in that tank. But on the whole, all 3 seem healthy.

I did have a 4th one, who got very very big bumps and eventually died. That fish was different from the other 3 - never was sure if it was the same species or deformed. Based on the other responses, it seems like the bumps were secondary to the death of that fish.
ozgrrl2

Post by ozgrrl2 »

So far it appears Quincy is doing fine.
I noticed 2 of the lumps have decreased in size. There is one larger cyst still there, but its colour isnt as nasty looking.
I appreciate the feedback on your fish. I was going to introduce 2 more friends [banjos] for him, but Ive been holding off due to this problem.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”