lost a fishy friend..

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
kalija
My cats species list: 4 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Rochester, NY
Location 2: Rochester, NY

lost a fishy friend..

Post by kalija »

Hi guys. I haven't posted here in a while, short on time lately.... Last week I lost a fish that I had for 20 years, a common pleco named Kalija. He is the fish that really got me into catfish (and my user name) and I wrote a little story of his life.... I wanted to share it and figured this was the best place, since all my friends seem to think I am nuts... its kind of long, so I apologize in advance. Here goes:

20 years ago, fresh out of school and on my own, I rented a tiny run-down apartment. The only saving grace for the ramshackle place was that it came with an empty 10 gallon aquarium. It was really lonely being on my own, so I wasted no time but went down to the lfs and bought a filter, a heater and two guppies for it. Over time I added a couple danios. All was well untill a heavy coating of algae blocked my view of my inhabitants, so off I went to the store again, for an algae eating pleco. I think I paid $1.99 for a tiny brown nondescript lump of a fish. He made short work of the algae but didn't seem too happy with me peering in at him so my boyfriend and I went out to a nearby gravel lot to scrounge up two big round rocks and a flat one to make him a cave. He promptly took it over and I didn't see him again for a couple months. I knew he was doing ok though because after lights out I would hear him rustling through the gravel for the algae wafers I fed him. It was a nice feeling of companionship for someone who was all alone at night in a strange city. I grew to love this strange little guy I never saw. One day I looked into the tank and saw a tail sticking out of the cave. Wow. It was a pretty big tail. During a water change I moved the cave and got a good look. My, he was growing fast. I started doing some research, and it turned out my little guy was a common pleco, and would soon outgrow his little home. Hmm. I was also overrun with guppies by now, so I picked up a 29 gallon at a garage sale for 15 bucks. I had no idea what was in store for me! I was hooked on the hobby for sure.
It wasn't long before my dad found a 55 gallon aquarium at a garage sale and picked it up for me. It was a great deal at 35 bucks, hoods, lights and all. An old coffee table from the side of the road for a stand and I was in business. I had named my now 6 inch pleco Kalija, and he was happy in his new 55. I still didn't know as much as I thought I did, which was evident when I picked up an innocent looking cute little "angel" catfish with huge adorable whiskers, all silver and covered with spots. Soon my guppies started to dissapear. Did more research and discovered that pictus cats see guppies as lunch. Oops. I still had the other tanks so I moved the remaining guppies back to the 10 gallon. A friend was moving to Florida and prevailed upon me to take his three fancy goldfish, so they were in the 29. My tiny apartment was getting overrun with fishtanks. I am surprised to this day that the floor never caved in!
Over these last twenty years there have been many changes. I moved Kalija to another city and another apartment when I moved to be in the same town as my boyfriend. I moved him yet again when we bought our first house a year later. I bought a 75 gallon for him at that point, at over 10 inches he really needed the space. He has lived with many different companions over the years. From rainbow fish to cichlids to various other catfish. He never batted a fin. He loved cucumber, zucchini, shrimp pellets and algae wafers. During tank cleanings he would accept a gentle pat or two. He grew be a true pet, once he got a little size on him and lost his fear.
Eventually we moved to a bigger house, and got married. For our one year anniversary my gift was a 125 gallon aquarium. Kalija moved one last time. He was well over 15 inches and was so happy with all the space. For once he actually looked a little small in his new home! He spent the last seven years swimming happily there.
Kalija started looking a little "off" the last month or so. He just wasn't himself, nothing I can really explain; no visible signs of illness or disease. Just not quite right. I lost him last week and it was one of the saddest days I have had in my life. It feels like I have lost a lifelong friend. We truly "grew up" together. The tank looks so empty without him, I wonder if the others miss him. I hope he enjoyed captive life with me, even though I know I made some mistakes along the way. I know I wouldn't have developed this love for the hobby without a little nudge from that little brown lump of a fish.
Goodbye, old friend. Go in peace, Kalija.

Thanks for reading, if you've made it this far, and listening to my rambling.
Karen
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: lost a fishy friend..

Post by MatsP »

Sorry for your loss. That must really be huge loss, as you've kept the fish for so long. But 20 years is way above average for these fish... So I think you've done a good job...

--
Mats
corybrummie2010
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Birmingham UK

Post by corybrummie2010 »

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

I am so sorry you lost him, sounds like he had a great life with you. You did a really good job!!

I can relate to this as I have a common pl*co also who is still a relative baby at 3 yrs old. Your story made me teary eyed knowing one day I will miss him as much as you miss yours. :(( he is like my little dinosaur puppy.

:YMHUG:
kalija

Post by kalija »

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Nothing like a loss of a loved to make you feel nostalgic. Andy, I am sure you will have many years to enjoy your little guy.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Karen,
That was a wonderful post. That fish was with you from leaving home through seven years of married life. That is just awesome.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
kalija

Post by kalija »

Thank you, Shane.

Karen
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

That's definitely an amazing story of a friendship. And goes to show how underrated commons can be. They have a lot of personality.
Matt30
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:9, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 3 (i:8, p:100)
Location 2: England. Surrey ,Caterham

Post by Matt30 »

Hi that was a great story I really enjoyed reading it.
It sounds like you gave your pleco a great life and you should be proud of that!
Really sorry for your loss
"Justice is coming to all of us no matter what we do"-WATCHMEN
DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

Post by DJ-don »

Karen, I'm so sorry for your loss.
It just shows the people who care and love a fish as much as they do a cat or Dog
20 years is an amazing life
This story even made me tear up a little.

A Truly most wonderful story.

Rest in peace, Kalija (beautiful name too)
kalija

Post by kalija »

awww, thank you guys! That means a lot to me....

Karen

Return to “Tank Talk”