Saltwater Tank for Fresh water?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Saltwater Tank for Fresh water?

Post by MackIntheBox »

I may soon be obtaining a 100gallon tank, I was informed it has been setup for saltwater (currently in use I beleive). What would it take to convert this to a freshwater tank? I know I will probly need to change alot of the filter system (not sure what if any system it does have) and flush it. Any recomendations on this?

Thanks,
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Your best bet is to strip everything and start over. The filtration system may be usable, but you'd spend too much time and effort flushing it out.
Oh yeah, and rinse the tank out real goood.
MackIntheBox

Post by MackIntheBox »

ok, I was not going to use the substrate or any items in the tank, i was planning on getting the tank and possibly a filtration system. From what I was told it may be an expensive filtration system is it possible to save it and use it for freshwater? If its just time and effort, I got plenty of that. if more than that I might wind up selling it :P an buying a new filtration system. as for the tank itself, I just rinse it out thoroughly?

wish me luck, I sure hope I get this tank :) (supposed to be free if I get it)
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Without knowing what kind of filter media is involved, it's really kind of hard to say. At the very least, I would discard the media and use new ones...too much effort in cleaning them out (this may not owrk for you if the media is expensive). You would also have to soak the tank (and filter parts if you decide to use them) in numerous changes of fresh water to make sure all the salt is removed.
MackIntheBox

Post by MackIntheBox »

sounds cool, I will definitely be taking my time to set this up correctly if I get it. Time is not an issue :) If the filter media is cheap and easy I will change it out, should I leave the filter system running without the media (if its possible) to clean out the system and the tank? just changing water frequently to flush it out well?
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

I would soak all the parts in water for a week with frequent water changes first, and then run the tank without media for another week (also with frequent water changes).
After that, set up the tank and then cycle it.
MackIntheBox

Post by MackIntheBox »

Silurus wrote:I would soak all the parts in water for a week with frequent water changes first, and then run the tank without media for another week (also with frequent water changes).
After that, set up the tank and then cycle it.
sounds like a plan :mrgreen:
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

A simple soak in tap water isn't likely to dissolve precipitated salts out of the tank.

As salt water includes allot of metal salts (K, Mg) you'll likely need some type of acid to break down the salt and calcium deposits in the tank. Otherwise, you may have a hard time keeping the pH stable in the tank. It'll tend to climb on you.

During your soak, either add a couple of gallons of distilled white vinegar, or some muratic acid (pool cleaning acid). Be careful with the Muratic (Hydrochloric) if you're not used to working with it. It is dangerously strong. Vinegar works fine, just the smell isn't the most pleasant. Either way, you should do this outside as the vapors from either treatment aren't that pleasant. (Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation!)

You'll want the pH to fall to and hold at 2-3, keep adding acid until the pH holds a 3 or below. Let it soak for 24-36 hrs. From there, drain it completely, give it several good rinses with tap water, wipe it down inside and out with a sponge and let it dry 24hrs. (let the Hydrogen ions diffuse out of the silicone).
The tank should then be ready for use.

Looking forward to pictures of the new setup.
Later,
Paul E. Turley
jadzia007

I did the same thing

Post by jadzia007 »

:o I recently got a 100 tank from a friend. He had a salt water set up for years. I washed the tank out good.....used vinegar.....put vinegar thru all the tubes.....and the filter media (plastic balls)....if it was sponges...or scrubbies I would have replaced it. I've been using it for two months now with my two cats...a few feeder fish...and a pleco in there. No problmes with PH or salt content. I didn't by any means scrub out the tubing......and I have no measurable salt content in the water. maybe in more time it will go up....but if it stays below .2 I can live with it.
MackIntheBox

Post by MackIntheBox »

cool, cant wait to get this tank :) if I do get it I will definitely be posting some pictures of the day I get it, hehe.

If I dont get it, I may belucky enough to get to the LFS while they are still having their sale, a 55 gallon tank, oak stand, and lights for $169.99 US. Plus they throw in an extra dollar per gallon so an extra $55 US to get supplies and possibly fish :) not a bad deal I think.

Return to “Tank Talk”