T2 lighting !

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
AndiH
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Iron Range of Minnesota, USA

T2 lighting !

Post by AndiH »

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. They aren't something I've seen much about, but they might be my solution for good lighting within my budget. If I were to get these, which wattage would be deemed suitable for a 29g (30x12x18) for a low-tech tank?

I was looking at this site: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com ... mbulb.html

Thanks,

Andi
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: T2 lighting !

Post by MatsP »

I've never used these, but T2 means that they are 2/8" or 1/4" in diameter. How many Watt you need for a particular tank depends a lot on what kind of plants you plan on keeping (if any - without plants, you don't need lights at all except enough to see the fish).

This article suggests 2.5-3W per gallon - so 70-90W, roughly.

Selected plants (suitable for catfish tanks) can be grown with a lot less light than that - I have a 70g tank with 1 x 38W T8 tube. But some plants certainly don't like that low lighting - if they don't make it, I put some other ones in... My tank is also shallo - only 16" deep, and 24" from back to front, and 48" long. Your 29g tank is quite deep, so needs more light to make it all to the bottom...

--
Mats
AndiH
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Iron Range of Minnesota, USA

Post by AndiH »

Hrmmm I guess I'll take a wait and see approach. I honestly don't want high light.

Thanks,
Andi
joefish72b
I've donated: $57.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 2: Florida, USA

Post by joefish72b »

On that same site they give you an explaination of the lighting requirements.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com ... hting.html

Honestly the article has more info than you should ever need. Hope it helps.

Return to “Tank Talk”