shop tour Enfield area

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
wrasse
My articles: 1
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

shop tour Enfield area

Post by wrasse »

I met up with a couple of cichlid mates (gasp!) today and we did a quick tour centred on Wildwoods but including a few garden centre stores nearby that had fish outlets...

Catfish-wise, I'm afraid we didn't see anything outstanding at all. Perhaps I had too high expectations )-: We did see some lovely marine displays.

It was actually my first visit to Wildwoods and I must admit I was somewhat surprised... it wasn't as big as I thought it would be. A mate was buying some retroculus cichlids that he'd ordered. I also saw some beautiful Satanoperca Acuticeps, hmmmm. And, I was very tempted by some stunning snakeheads! - I've never kept them, but wow! I'm still considering...
However, IMO quite a lot of the fish on sale needed worming, quite frankly. And the tanks needed cleaning. Also there were a few dead bods that had been there a while... This was not what I expected to see.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: shop tour Enfield area

Post by Richard B »

wrasse wrote: However, IMO quite a lot of the fish on sale needed worming, quite frankly. And the tanks needed cleaning. Also there were a few dead bods that had been there a while... This was not what I expected to see.
This doesn't sound typical in my experience
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I agree with Richard, it doesn't sound like the Wildwoods I've been to - of course, I've only been a few times. After all, it's further than to MA @ Oxford.

--
Mats
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

I have to admit, with Wildwoods, it isn't usually the catfishes that I get excited about there. Pier is a lot better for catfish.

They do usually have lots of other very nice stuff though. What were the snakeheads?
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

Post by andregurov »

Retroculus? And dead fish? What a bizarre contrast. I'd give my left arm to find ANYONE who stocks/special orders Retroculus here. Dead fish we can find by the dozens. b-)

The snakeheads sound very nice. It's been years for us to find 'em locally.
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
wrasse
My articles: 1
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Post by wrasse »

andregurov wrote:Retroculus? And dead fish? What a bizarre contrast.
That's very true. My thoughts exactly.

This shop has a very good reputation, this was my first visit there so I was expecting a lot. The very first tank had 9 x S. Acuticeps, beautiful fish. In another there were some young L123, very nice, I've only seen them once before.

2 tanks each had a dead pleco around 12cm, that had been dead for more than a day, more like 3 or 4 days. :-O Not impressed by that. There were other dead fish as well.
There was also a tank that had 1 syno flavitaeniatus and I guess a dozen syno soloni. The S Soloni were concave, at least one had whitish streamers hanging from its anus. I observed the same symptoms in some other tanks and fish species.
The entire bank of tanks housing gouramies was grubby.

I was shown the quarantine room and in there were 3 types of snakehead. One was unidentified, the others were Channa Bleheri 'red' and a larger Channa Aurantimaculata - serious WOW factors and much nicer in the flesh than any photos I've seen.

Richard
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

andregurov wrote:The snakeheads sound very nice. It's been years for us to find 'em locally.
What species of snakeheads can you keep in Lousianna? I thought all were banned in all the states?
wrasse wrote:The S Soloni were concave...
My soloni has never had a full, rounded tummie - almost always just flat. Maybe, it's just their nature. But seeing worms hanging from the anus is, of course, definitive.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

Post by andregurov »

Viktor Jarikov wrote: What species of snakeheads can you keep in Lousianna? I thought all were banned in all the states?
Oh, none. I remember right before the ban the LFS I worked at got in about 6 different species from a wholesaler on the West Coast, who shipped them all as "gobies". ;))

My understanding - and I'm sorry to hijack - is that interstate commerce is illegal, but there are still a few states (like Maine) where they are legal to possess, if they were acquired before the federal ban.
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki

Return to “Speak Easy”