45 gallon problem aquarium

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

45 gallon problem aquarium

Post by andregurov »

An empty tank is both a blessing and a curse: it allows you the freedom to impulse buy, but also taunts you when not stocked. My 45 gallon hexagonal tank (roughly 21" x 21" x 30" tall) presents such a scenario for me. Hexes are notorious for being showy yet limiting ... and this one is no different. I've debated lots of different species to put in there, but have come to the conclusion that although I have ideas for how I want the tank to look (it is in the high-traffic foyer of my home) I have no idea what fish I should go with.

It has an inert white sand substrate, and is filled with around 60 lbs of much-used Malaysian bogwood. No plants, and dual bulb T5 lighting with a cycled Fluval U3 internal filter. Ideally I'd like a catfish that doesn't hide all day (that would eliminate many available woodcats, wouldn't it?), but I would be open to a small colony of Loricariids, ideally one that fits into a sand/wood/no plants biotope. Adding additional current is not a problem if needed. Possible breeding behavior is high on the list of preferences. Cories would be tough due to the limited footprint (already small, and all the bogwood shrunk it even further).

I did think about moving some of my synodontis (or, better yet ... buying new ones!) into the tank and going for an African backwater scenario, but the lack of plants seems to make that somewhat inaccurate (well, all biotopes are inaccurate, but I'm trying to at least stick with a theme).

Any suggestions for what would be a good match for this tank?
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: 45 gallon problem aquarium

Post by Birger »

t I would be open to a small colony of Loricariids
The first thing I pictured was some hanging around vertically throughout the tank...and the possibility of them spawning is there as well.
I did think about moving some of my synodontis (or, better yet ... buying new ones!)
The only Synodontis (available) I would picture in such a tank would be a group of a dozen or more would probably utilize the wood throughout the height of the tank and the addition of a few Anubias or other plant that attaches to the wood would make for an interesting sight. Then for myself I would consider adding some Aphyosemion or a small Ctenopoma species.

Birger
Birger
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I am with Birger. Hex tank are amongst the most difficult to work with. I would use that driftwood and, with 45 gals to work with, do a great loricariinae bredding/display with Farlowella, Sturisoma, Sturisomatichthys, Lamontichthys, etc. You could do 6-8 of two spp, or 3-5 of three spp.

Theses fish do not compete well for food in a community set up, but would do very well competing amongst themselves.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

While not "biotope", I think a tank with both Farlowella and S. nigriventris would work nicely.

Ctenopoma (or Microctenopoma) are another good suggestion. Alternatively, a small shoal of Rasbora might add a dash of interest.
andregurov

Post by andregurov »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. One of my 29g has some Pseudepiplathys annulatus and Atya gabonensis that I thought about moving into the hex but decided against, so a tank of S. nigriventris and some killies sounds pretty good. But I think I am more interested in trying some Farlowella out first. It helps that they are pretty easy to find in shops and rather inexpensive too (I fear my wife is tired of seeing big $$$ resulting in new boxes awaiting me at the airport!).

Would a small shoal of tetras interfere with breeding or fry-raising in the tank?
andregurov

Post by andregurov »

I went with the Farlowella, so the tank now has 6 3" Farlowella sps. swimming about. It would appear in early glances that there are at least two different species represented, so now I go about figuring out what they are. Thanks for the suggestions!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

A photo from the side and the belly will be the best way to ID the fish - and post those in the "What's my catfish?" section...

--
Mats

Return to “Tank Talk”