city living catfish

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Thriftyfisher
Location 1: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Location 2: Grand Rapids, MI, USA

city living catfish

Post by Thriftyfisher »

This was in the news the other day so I thought I would share it. The Grand River runs through Grand Rapids Michigan, US. This is a section of river that is pretty well fished during the fall salmon run due to a 6' high damn on the north side of town that forces the salmon to pool below it. However, not many people fish for catfish and this guy wasn't either but that is what he caught.

They are calling it a 40-inch plus flathead catfish, Pylodictis olivaris. From the photos I would believe that is pretty close to being correct. I know that there are bigger catfish around but one this big is pretty rare in this part of the world. I snorkel tributaries of this river (this river is usually too cloudy to snorkel) and would love to come across a fish this size.
Attachments
Photo of Nick Hamadanchi who caught the fish
Photo of Nick Hamadanchi who caught the fish
Proteus
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Chicago, IL

Re: city living catfish

Post by Proteus »

never knew flatheads were in michigan, never seen em in that area.

Nice!
excuzzzeme
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Clinton CT

Post by excuzzzeme »

Hmmm, looks like you could get some great fillets off that guy!
Thriftyfisher
Location 1: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Location 2: Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Post by Thriftyfisher »

They have probably been introduced but I find conflicting information on that. Peterson's Field Guide shows it is native and the Audubon shows it is not native to Michigan.

This guy actually gave the fish to a man and his son so they could eat it. I am sure it was good for at least a couple of meals.

Return to “Speak Easy”