Farlowella

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Squidward
Location 2: Hertfordshire, UK

Farlowella

Post by Squidward »

When I bought these two Farlowella about a year ago, they were both the colour of the fish on the left.
But on the weekend, I noticed the one on the right seems to have gone a bit of a darker colour.

Is this normal?

I haven't seen the 2 of them this close together in recent times, so this was the first time that I could make this sort of comparison. No idea when the colour change happened.
Attachments
Twig.jpg
Twig.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Re: Farlowella

Post by L number Banana »

I have several and mine have adjusted their colour as well. Mine seemed to change shorty after I got them into the tank and each stayed that colour since. One is quite dark, almost black, another is pale beige/yellow, the rest are variations of the common colouring.
The original lighter colour may have been from the stress of being moved perhaps.

These fish are wonderful, you'll enjoy them. Good water quality and they can be quite active, especially with fresh veggies!
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
miryam
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 1: Basque country, Spain
Location 2: spain
Interests: catfish, specially farlowelas, hypancistrus and peckoltias.

Post by miryam »

hi!
it's normal the color differences between them!
don´t worry, look at this picture!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Squidward

Post by Squidward »

Thanks - so it is normal.

I know they were both the same colour when I got them. And I think the colour change must be quite recent.

I leave vegetables in the tank overnight for the other Plecs in the tank, but have never seen them feed on it.
They must be eating something as they have been with me for over a year!
miryam

Post by miryam »

don't worry because the food that they enjoy is cleaning the algae glasses!!!!

in my tank I used to feed them spirulina tablets! but not at night (because there are other plecos biggest and strongest who take away them the food... I prefer to feed them during the day.
Squidward

Post by Squidward »

miryam wrote:don't worry because the food that they enjoy is cleaning the algae glasses!!!!

in my tank I used to feed them spirulina tablets! but not at night (because there are other plecos biggest and strongest who take away them the food... I prefer to feed them during the day.
MIne must exist solely on algae. Not sure it is enough though. They are not really growing.
miryam

Post by miryam »

in my tank the farlowellas are spawning, so I guess that the food that they have is not enough, is really good. if not a farlowellas not breed ... in my experience

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”