The special one!!!

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

The special one!!!

Post by bigamefish »

Everybody likes all there fish! But there is always that one unsuspecting fish that stands out in the croud, the special one! Everybody has a fish like that even if you haven't seen it yet! These fish are the ones you hold close to your heart the one that would hurt to loose! My special fish is by far my blue phantom pleco (Hemiancistrus sp. L-128) he was a cool fish even when I first got him! But as the days, weeks, months go by I can see his true personality show itself he is a truly special little guy! If I had the time and money theres no doubt in my mind I would try to breed them! Tell me about your special fish! (doesn't have to be a catfish)
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: The special one!!!

Post by MatsP »

is one of my absolute favourites. But there are so many nice fish, it's hard to say for sure.

--
Mats
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

There are far far too many catfish let alone fish in general.

Current cats i'm keeping that i find myself watching more than anything else include ,

Things i saw at the weekend that looked especially good were , , & (all at Pier Aquatics).
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

there are too many catfish on that list for me

I could ramble on and on about Phyllonemus or the boisterous Synodontis species or the funny Ituglanis or all the oddballs I've kept over the decades I'm into this hobby

but to give credit where credit's due there is 1 single species that has been a constant factor and it has been in my own collection since 1986:
Valar Morghulis
Lloydy
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: Chandlers Ford (near Southampton, England)
Location 2: Southampton (England)

Post by Lloydy »

My favourite is my L14 which has a slightly damaged (upturned) front right fin :d
Q) Why are dead fish harder to 'wind up' than live fish?
A) Because dead fish never take the bait! ;)
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

My twigs are my favourites. by far because he has the extra filament and his nose is so flat and longer and distinctly different from the others. Nice colours too, reminds me of a snake.
Not listed in my cats here because it was confirmed by a twig expert but not confirmed by our wonderful PC experts. When in doubt, leave it out.?
Attachments
GlowTwigFlatLongNose.jpg
Last edited by L number Banana on 29 Feb 2012, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
Deb
I've donated: $75.00!
My images: 8
My cats species list: 38 (i:21, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 11
Location 2: Virginia USA

Post by Deb »

It has to be Mac, my first Panaque maccus.
If you want to know why look here:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... c+cut+open

Old news but still pretty dramatic and heartening. To this day, even though I have kept many a small catfish species, Panaque maccus is my "favorite." "Favorite" is in quotes because honestly how can I have a favorite but they are very special, as the title of this topic exclaims.
:YMHUG:
bigamefish
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Post by bigamefish »

Deb wrote:It has to be Mac, my first Panaque maccus.

Old news but still pretty dramatic and heartening. To this day, even though I have kept many a small catfish species, Panaque maccus is my "favorite." "Favorite" is in quotes because honestly how can I have a favorite but they are very special, as the title of this topic exclaims.
holy cow! thats an amazing story! they must be tough little buggers! i can see how he might be your special one!
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
grokefish
My images: 3
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

Deb wrote:It has to be Mac, my first Panaque maccus.

Thats horrible, I had to cut a female bumble bee catfish to bits once when it got lodged in the throught of my .
I used hairdressers scissors and had to cut the dorsal spine of the bumblebee off through the predators gills, thankfully the tigrinum fully recovered.
Strangely this story is related to the main topic as south american bumble bee catfish along with Chaetostoma formosae are my special fish.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Not a single shot? IMO, these are the kinds of "situational" posts that "must have" photos. Otherwise, it's not unlike having someone narrate a movie for you while you are blindfolded... or, as I mentioned elsewhere, like an alcohol-free and music-free party...

Just two broken cents. Never mind, if you disagree.

I have many special ones. My "the special-est" one is the 26" giant gourami Gus, who, as it turned out, liked to chew on the rubber wrinkles and bit a hundred holes in my 40'x6'x3' rubber-liner pond turning my basement into a shallow lake and costing me, oh, well, likely about 20 grand in damages and lost fish.. is all. 4th page, 3rd post down is the mugshot http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... h&start=60
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:Not a single shot? IMO, these are the kinds of "situational" posts that "must have" photos. Otherwise, it's not unlike having someone narrate a movie for you while you are blindfolded... or, as I mentioned elsewhere, like an alcohol-free and music-free party...

Just two broken cents. Never mind, if you disagree.
well if you say so here is a pic of my special one!
Attachments
he looks green but i can assure you he`s blue in real life
he looks green but i can assure you he`s blue in real life

Ted Hughes
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

Good point about the pics, added mine with the description above. Old pic with a regular twig in the background. Cute little eyes on him :-)
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.

Return to “Speak Easy”