Otocinclus vittatus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
The.Dark.One
I've donated: $26.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Castleford, West Yorkshire, England
Location 2: Castleford

Otocinclus vittatus?

Post by The.Dark.One »

Spotted these today at Ferrybridge Aquatics. At first I thought they were definitely O. vittatus but they seem to have some gold colouration in them, and the pattern in the caudal fin looks different?

Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Re: Otocinclus vittatus?

Post by Mike_Noren »

Well, O. vittatus is almost certainly a species complex - it's distributed from Venezuela to Argentina! - and varies noticeably between different areas. I agree that the caudal pigmentation is odd, and I can't say with any certainty if your fish is a vittatus, a "vittatus", or an entirely undescribed species.

The golden sheen is kind of similar to an affinis, but affinis has iris diverticulum, and these fish do not.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
The.Dark.One
I've donated: $26.00!
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Castleford, West Yorkshire, England
Location 2: Castleford

Re: Otocinclus vittatus?

Post by The.Dark.One »

OK, thanks Mike.

Return to “What is my catfish?”