Whiptail Catfish ID

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Darren Balch
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Essex England

Whiptail Catfish ID

Post by Darren Balch »

Can someone please confirm my ID, I believe this to be Hemiloricaria Parva.
Whiptail ID.jpg
I have 2 of these and both look identical.
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Re: Whiptail Catfish ID

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

do you also have a pic of a lateral view ?!
However, I'm very sure that this is not H. parva, the fins are way too short.
Why do you think it's H. parva ?

Cheers,
--

Karsten
sunfish
My images: 3
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Germany

Post by sunfish »

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure with this picture, but I'd say this is a female .
Cheers,
Tina
Darren Balch
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Essex England

Post by Darren Balch »

I guess the only reason i was thinking H.parva as it was the only thing that looked close but i cant recall seeing H.beni when i was searching. I assume the reason for thinking female is due to the overall shape. I got the last 2 in the shop to see if they would breed but they both seem the same. Is there any real giveaways to point me in the direction of a male?

Also if anyone is a keeper or has experience of these. Is it usual for this species to be very placid. If im cleaning the tank or moving things round they dont move out the way and i constantly have to check that they arent stuck under what i have moved. They seem to be feeding ok and under low light conditions seem more active which is no suprise.

Thanks

Darren
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

I've attached a pic of a male H. beni, have a look on the pectoral fins (also a few on the head), the odontodes are a clear sign for males. Also on the cheeks you can see some. Females don't have those odontodes.
Within Hemiloricaria there are some differences but the males always have pronounced odontodes whereas females don't.

I think H. beni is a good call, what is the size of your whiptails ?

Cheers,
Attachments
male H. beni
male H. beni
--

Karsten
sunfish

Post by sunfish »

Yes, female due to the body shape and the absence of Odontodes. At this size the males are easy to identify.

H. beni are small, peaceful fish that are easy to keep and not at all timid. They are not that rare, so it should be possible for you to get some more if this is indeed H. beni.
Cheers,
Tina
Thriftyfisher
Location 1: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Location 2: Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Post by Thriftyfisher »

I don't know what species this is but I would say that it is a male. Notice the "hairs" on the pectoral fins. Also notice that this fish does have a "beard" which would definitely make it a male.
sunfish

Post by sunfish »

Thriftyfisher wrote:I don't know what species this is but I would say that it is a male. Notice the "hairs" on the pectoral fins. Also notice that this fish does have a "beard" which would definitely make it a male.
If you're talking about the second picture then yes, this is a male (as it says in the text and in the caption). This picture was posted to show what a male H. beni looks like. It sometimes helps to read the text...
Cheers,
Tina
Thriftyfisher
Location 1: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Location 2: Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Post by Thriftyfisher »

Sunfish,

You are, of course, correct. I mixed and matched what I was looking at and reading, I hate when I do that and I agree with you that the first picture is of a female.

Return to “What is my catfish?”