Is this Ancistrus claro LDA08?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
papwalker
My cats species list: 6 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:24)
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Sydney
Interests: Dogs, Fish, Photography, microbiology, medicine, cosmology .. let's just say polymath.
Started keeping characins and Amazon cichlids in 1978. Just recently into Amazon catfish.

Is this Ancistrus claro LDA08?

Post by papwalker »

Sold as Golden Marble Bristlenose, Ancistrus claro LDA08
Is it??
25mm Juvi
Attachments
bn6.jpg
b2.jpg
b1.jpg
...hand made my first tank in 1978 with Silastic & toughened glass sliding lids from an ice cream fridge.
...aaand sliced my hand open :-)
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Is this Ancistrus claro LDA08?

Post by Birger »

These are Ancistrus claro juveniles, they start out with more of a reticulated pattern than the photo above.

Birger
claro fry 017.jpg
Birger
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Looks like a common & not a claro
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

the pattern is quite variable, this is Ancistrus claro with approximately the same size:

The most decisive difference in my eyes is the mouth which is Chaetostoma like in A. claro, i.e. much wider than in most other Ancistrus.

But I agree that it looks more like the common bristlenose but I think with the fotos it's difficult to rule out A. claro for sure.

Cheers,
--

Karsten
Med90
My cats species list: 2 (i:1, k:0)
Location 2: Newport

Post by Med90 »

Hi

I have a similar young plec, its about 2 inches long and i bought from pets at home they sold this as a gibby :-\

i was wondering if it is the same kind as the one you mentioned but if it aint can you tell me the name and L number

Thanks
Attachments
15062012100.JPG
15062012096.JPG
15062012090.JPG
papwalker
Interests: Dogs, Fish, Photography, microbiology, medicine, cosmology .. let's just say polymath.
Started keeping characins and Amazon cichlids in 1978. Just recently into Amazon catfish.

Post by papwalker »

@med90

The same guy in Sydney sold me a Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps. he's only an inch long.
What I immediately noticed was the long, almost outsized fins, like little veils. Much longer fins than the alleged LDA08. He's a bit darker and more reclusive as well.
The fins look much longer than the cat in your pics.
But, I'm an ex characin guy, these cats are all very new to me.
Juvi Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps pictured.
Attachments
bn7.jpg
Last edited by papwalker on 16 Jun 2012, 10:01, edited 2 times in total.
...hand made my first tank in 1978 with Silastic & toughened glass sliding lids from an ice cream fridge.
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

AFAIK the distinguishing character for is the vermiculations (squiggly lines) on the face, and on old pictures I've seen it's as obvious they're not commons as in the Cat-elog photo. The claro I've seen sold in the last year or so are nearly indistinguishable from commons, with just a hint of squiggles and looking much like the OP's fish, but on the other hand maybe the old photos were of particularly striking individuals.
Has someone here seen wild claro and can say what they normally look like?
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
papwalker

Post by papwalker »

Roll on the day we have a 10 second DNA test kit from Sera / Tetra et al
:-b
Firestorming
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NSW, Australia
Location 2: NSW, Australia

Post by Firestorming »

Mate, can you post some more pics of the "Gibby" that looks like a longfin bn to me, and if it is a long fin go back and get your money back!
Motorcycles are not an expensive hobby, try keeping L-cats in Australia
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

My f1 Claro look typical of the squiggly-line on head photos in cat-e-log (when 1" plus)
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
papwalker

Post by papwalker »

Crap! Now I have two unidentified misidentified fish.
Either these dealers have no clue or don't care.
I can find no ref here for longfin or "long fin"
Personally I quite like both fish, but I prefer correct ID so as to know how big they get and any gotchas.
I may as well close this account because I have no certainty of any cats now, even the Sterbais may be suspect.
Should keep guppies!
Attachments
bn8.jpg
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Maybe I should explain my doubts...

A couple of years ago I bought this nicely colored common ancistrus male:
Ancistrus_male_DSC_0118.jpg
At the time there was some speculation here on PC that my original male was a claro x common hybrid.

He never grew very big, maybe 7 cm, but was a devoted & successful father and I got a lot of offspring from him & my older common females. All of the offspring looked like regular commons. I got curious and bred a couple of his offspring to each other. Fry survival was poor, most offspring looked normal, but I did get this (fish is probably about 3 cm TL):
Ancistrus_baby1_DSC_0079.jpg
Ancistrus_baby1_DSC_0080.jpg
To be honest a lot of the claro sold now to me look a lot like the offspring in the two last pictures, which is definitely either a hybrid or a sport of common ancistrus.

Standard disclaimer: I'm not in any way, shape or form an expert on Ancistrus, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a confirmed Ancistrus claro.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
papwalker

Post by papwalker »

I've was told my cat is a gold marble. A claro one would think.
I've now been told it's cross between a gold BN and a Marble BN thus gold marble...
(cough)
8-|
That leaves the all new Long finned Gibby explaination.
Can't wait.
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

Your long fin is ancistrus cirrosus (that is slept wrong) also known as common long fin bristle nose
What's your favorite Dressing~~
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

Mike_Noren wrote:AFAIK the distinguishing character for is the vermiculations (squiggly lines) on the face, and on old pictures I've seen it's as obvious they're not commons as in the Cat-elog photo. The claro I've seen sold in the last year or so are nearly indistinguishable from commons, with just a hint of squiggles and looking much like the OP's fish, but on the other hand maybe the old photos were of particularly striking individuals.
Has someone here seen wild claro and can say what they normally look like?
There has always been some variation in the spots and reticulated pattern, even in wild fish. However, I do have to agree it's becoming less common to find fish with a good pattern. Having said that, mouth shape will always be the easiest defining character of this species.

This thread is a perfect example of what can go wrong and cause hybridization. A hobbyist with quite a bit of experience outside the catfish world buys a fish labeled as "gold marble" because the seller wants to make more money by giving his commons a fancier name. The assumption becomes it's LDA08/Ancistrus claro because of the common name. If the hobbyist later decides to add more to the tank and actually gets A. claro, the odds of hybridizing goes up exponentially.

I currently have fry from an accidental cross in one of my grow-out tanks of a blue eye gold and a super red. For the most part, they look like commons. However, a couple of them did inherit the red color in what would normally be the white edging of the fins. Off the top of my head, red seam bristlenose and red fin leopard pleco would both be descriptive names for the strain. It still doesn't make it L59 or L114 and ethics alone says I wouldn't use either if I were to decide to continue the strain.

I don't mean to take this thread off topic, but I sincerely believe the "gold rush" mentality of a lot of breeders has created a nightmare for anyone actually trying to keep catfish as a hobby. I'm not a fan of common names, but do use L numbers quite frequently. However, this thread clearly illustrates the "ethical flexibility" some sellers are willing to go to just to sell a fish.

I'm sorry to say that your "gibby" is a Long fin common Ancistrus. Given the price potential of plecos in Australia, I would say return the fish and buy from a reputable seller. You should be able to get a very nice one at a much more reasonable price than what a gibbiceps would cost. As an added bonus, this obviously "less than reputable" seller doesn't get to profit by attempting to pass off cheap fish as uncommon/rare.

Once again, I apologize for the rant, but this is one of the things I see happening all to often in the hobby that has became a major annoyance.

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

nvcichlids wrote:Your long fin is ancistrus cirrosus (that is slept wrong) also known as common long fin bristle nose

veitail pic
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!

Return to “What is my catfish?”