How many species are "Royal?"

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: NW Indiana

How many species are "Royal?"

Post by jp11biod »

Most of my experience with the hoppy, I thought a Royal Plec was a single species but it now appears there are several. Is there a list of species that fall under that category?

I am hoping to find a Royal Pleco that stays small.

pls and thx

JS
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: How many species are "Royal?"

Post by Birger »

The fish in the below link are all in the genus Panaque...which anything using "royal plec" in its common name as you are using it is in this genus.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/ge ... enus_id=27

Birger
Birger
jp11biod

Post by jp11biod »

thanks Birger -- so it looks like only four species, as I see them, and they all get huge.

I will have to investigate some of the other Panaque, some mighty handsome fish in that group --

JS
jeremybasch
My images: 14
Spotted: 5
Location 1: http://amazontropics.com
Location 2: Columbus OH USA
Interests: All catfish

Post by jeremybasch »

The royal plecos as they are known are probably a group of more than 4 species. Even the so called watermelon plecos are closely related to royals. The saying, "appearances can be deceiving" applies here and you cannot go on coloration alone. And I am sure there are discoveries yet to be made with these large growing plecos!

Jeremy
David R
My cats species list: 12 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Whangarei, New Zealand

Post by David R »

I guess it depends if you mean species in the true sense (scientifically described) of which there are only three (I think? P. nigrolineatus, P. ambrusteri, P. titan) or just variants, of which there are many many more that haven't yet been described and may be absorbed into existing species or described individually as new species.

Pretty sure all of them get big [eventually]...
David R's 2000L tank build - now up and running with fish and water and stuff, check it out!
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

While not a "royal pleco", I would highly recommend as a beautiful panaque that does not get large. You can even keep this particular species in high pH water. I've kept them in the past in my riverine tank and there was nothing special I had to do for them--besides keep a lot of driftwood in the tank and drop some zucchini or romaine lettuce in a couple times a week--which holds true for most panaque.
jp11biod

Post by jp11biod »

thanks everyone-- good advice

I do have 4 L204's and they are beautiful and fun to watch.

I just picked up a FREE 6' 150 g tank and I think I am going to fill it up with woodeaters

any advice other than good filtration and lots of different wood?

I have detected that hypancistrus and peckoltia should probably not be kept with Panaque? Is this a good rule to live by?
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

One recommendation I have is to remember to keep an eye on your pH. When you have a tank full of wood eating fish, the pH tends to go south in a hurry. I recommend putting crushed coral or dolomite in one of your filters in order to help buffer the pH.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”