L-128 tail filaments?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

L-128 tail filaments?

Post by bigamefish »

Hey everybody! Recently i have noticed that my 128 has developed some rather pretty tail filaments, i have also noticed that none of the cat-eLog pics show filaments on any of them.
Is this a common occurence?
Attachments
IMG_0322.JPG
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: L-128 tail filaments?

Post by Birger »

I suppose I could be wrong but to me it looks like the tail is getting nipped at.

What other fish are in with this fish?

Birger
Birger
bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Post by bigamefish »

Ya think? When I look at him it doesn't look too choppy! He is the dominant pleco! If he was getting nipped I would think the little filament would go first
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
David R
My cats species list: 12 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Whangarei, New Zealand

Post by David R »

Kinda looks like the exposed "bone" (or what ever it is that the hard stuff in the tail is) to me too. Can't tell if it is hard or soft from the pic though.
David R's 2000L tank build - now up and running with fish and water and stuff, check it out!
jamos
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:3, p:195)
Location 1: Auckland, New Zealand
Location 2: New Zealand
Interests: fish, sports, fish and fish

Post by jamos »

Simply looks to me like the tail has split giving the appearance of a filament. This can happen easily and if it is the dominant plec then quite possible. It should close back up and heal if it is a split.
How long has it been like this for?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”