Synodontis clarias

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Synodontis clarias

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Just thought I would mention these are currently on the Oddballs stocklist, great looking synos for those with big tanks.

Out of curiosity, how has anyone found them with conspecifics and/or other synos?
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Synodontis clarias

Post by Richard B »

in a mix of syno species in a big tank these get on fine. They appear well down the pecking order of synos of a similar size

in a species group i cannot say - "Chrysichthys" had a group of these but has been very quiet of late, maybe someone else can comment
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Viktor Jarikov
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Interesting-looking syno that I have never seen live. I saw it on Jippo's pics.

(1) Chrysichthys (k: 5), (2) smegforbrains, (3) jippo (k: 3), (4) Wiccatfish, (5) Junttis (k: 2), (6) andregurov (p: 3, k: 3), who also notes: "Extremely shy - avoids light like the plague!", (7) fuzzytigerbird, (8) Miss Dib Dabs, (9) syno-kev, (10) corybreed, (11) lasteeves (k: 4).
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I have ten clarias. I very seldom see them even when the lights are out. They only fish in the tank with them are six contracta and a group of twelve longipinnis tetras. I do not find them to be particularly aggressive. Their most interesting feature is the red tail, otherwise they are quite drab.

Mark
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Wow! Even with ten of them!!?? So it's consistent with Andregurov's comment. What to do for someone who wants to see their pets? Would you recommend a bare tank? Minimal decoration is probably out of the question as they will fight for the best spots.
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 19 Jul 2012, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Blimey, so far they are making Synodontis decora look like brave fish (and under normal circumstances I rarely get to see mine completely in the open, but it was nice to see it exploring the new bodgwood layout yesterday)!

Corybreed, I would love to read about how you have found your Brycinus longipinnis sometime, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a group of 12/18 for my 5x2x2 as the main midwater dither as part of its conversion into a "Congo Rapids" community.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
amiidae
My images: 546
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 178
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Singapore

Post by amiidae »

Usual territorial behavior bumping each other off fm the spot is what I've observed.

They take a long time to get bolder and start feeding openly.
PREDATORY FISH KEEPERS FB GROUP --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/166535030633179/
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

Post by andregurov »

I have just two currently - I sold one as they fought continuously, and 3 is a horrible # to keep of most fish - and they are just NOW after several years finally coming out to feed in the light. They eat anything (including several types of algae!), but tend to be rather shy and do not "compete" well with quick feeding fish. I've had difficulty keeping weight on them and had to eventually isolate them with some slow-feeding CA cichlids, and now with some Polypterids.

Due to the feeding issues - which is all my fault, not the fishes - it has taken them some time to grow, which they are doing very slowly. They certainly are not nearly as active and flamboyant as many other synos.
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I have always been under an impression that 2 of aggressive/territorial fish is the worst number or so it seems to be generally accepted and advised to others. Thanks for the new knowledge, albeit I do realize sex matters too and everyone's tank situations differ and vary...
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
jippo
My images: 102
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 80 (i:64, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
Spotted: 38
Location 1: Finland
Location 2: Turku

Post by jippo »

I have now three of them, just got last one few weeks ago. I haven't got any problems with them, they have always been like "gentleman". They don't fight together or with other synos, they always come to eat and I can see them every day.

I have found that decoration is a big thing if you want to see your synos. I have tried many kind of tanks, at the moment I have two large tanks that are quite similar, and only because I can see my synos with these decoration. Also there is good to have protect fish, in my case these are at other tank and at other.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I've always been most impressed with your syno collections`and photos but I have never seen the whole tank or any significant part of it. From what I saw, your tanks have lots and lots of furniture. So what decorations are we talking and what's a "protect fish"?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
jippo
My images: 102
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 80 (i:64, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
Spotted: 38
Location 1: Finland
Location 2: Turku

Post by jippo »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:I've always been most impressed with your syno collections`and photos but I have never seen the whole tank or any significant part of it. From what I saw, your tanks have lots and lots of furniture. So what decorations are we talking and what's a "protect fish"?
Check some videos from my signature. I use lots of roots and rocks, also I like to leave some open bottom areas.

I don't know exact english word for "protect fish", it's the fish that spend most of its time more open water. Normally we use these kind of fishes with tetras, cichlids etc. but i'm using the same method with synos. So it's not hiding as much as other species and gives more courage to them. With synos I have found that group of some large species is the best "protect fish". I hope you get the point :-\ .
toby
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Canada

Post by toby »

Jippo, I think the word you are looking for is "dither fish" - which most English mother-tongue speakers will understand. I have observed the same with several of my synos - multis especially in one tank - I have 6 adults in with 3 polli and and granny, housed in a 150 - lots of cover and open space. Up until 3-4 months ago, I had about 12 cyprichromis (open water tanganyikans) and 1 large benthochromis male (beautiful tang) in the tank and there would be lots of multi activity at all times of the day - they would be rough and tumble all day long. Since the cyps and bentho have gone, the multis are not nearly as bold and open in their activities. I would add some dithers tomorrow but am expecting to move soon and was cutting back to make the "fish move" more manageable and hate to add fish for a short term fix.

Return to “African Catfishes”