Breeding Tanks

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Plecodoras
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: York, Yorkshire
Location 2: United Kingdom
Interests: Corydoras, Plecs, loaches and more of the same.....
Photography, Cars, Drones, Travel, Computers.

Breeding Tanks

Post by Plecodoras »

Hi to all :-H :text-imnewhere:

Now I know we all have our own ideas when it comes to breeding tanks and setups, but I just want to get a general feel, for what members class as their ideal when it comes to the question - what size for my breeding tank?

I want to breed the following and wondered what size would be most suitable for a breeding tank;- (in inches not litres)

smaller species plecs ie L46, L128, L200, L66, L333, L204, L134 to name a few likely subjects.

Corydoras species from Habrosus to Scleromystax Barbatus ( I know not technically a cory but still relevant ).

Whiptails - Steurisoma panamense, Pseudohemiodon apithanus, Hemiloricaria Red Lizard etc.

and smaller tetras and characins.

Any help would be appreciated to tank setups, ie fast flow, slow flow, no flow !!

Also - anyone know of any chameleon whips for sale, now or coming up??
"cheers to Steve who informs me - pier aquatics may have some" - still to check Neil for these.

Cheers chaps and chapesses! :YMPEACE: :cheers:
I only smile a lot because I haven't a clue what anyones saying!
plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Re: Breeding Tanks

Post by plecomanpat »

IMO it depends on the size of the breeding group, and of course size of adult fish, for example, L200 are around 6" at breeding age, you have a group of 5, they would not do well in a 20 long (30 inch footprint)but a group of 5 L46 would be quite comfortable...regards
Lets go Red Wings
Plecodoras
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: York, Yorkshire
Location 2: United Kingdom
Interests: Corydoras, Plecs, loaches and more of the same.....
Photography, Cars, Drones, Travel, Computers.

Re: Breeding Tanks

Post by Plecodoras »

Well Thanks for the early reply plecomanpat.

In general if my fish were 5 or 6 inches and my group consisted of again say 5 or 6 specimens, then would a tank
of size 36" x 12" x 12" or 36" x 15" x 15". Would it be better to split a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft so in effect
two 3ft x 2ft x 2ft... this would purely be for the plecs not the corys!!

Cheers :cheers:
I only smile a lot because I haven't a clue what anyones saying!

Return to “Tank Talk”