My First Spawn of S. lacerdai

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

My First Spawn of S. lacerdai

Post by Coryologist »

Greetings. When Mr. Fuller visited me in late June he was kind enough to bring me a group of 7 S. lacerdai. About a week ago I was saddened to see that one had died. On Friday, I was even more distraught to find another dead one. Both deaths occurred after moving the group into a tank in a lower and slightly cooler part of the fish room, during the hottest summer on record. So much for my making things better.

Ian had encouraged me to make sure that there was strong water current striking the glass as this is where his group generally laid their eggs. After disposing of the second dead fish I examined the tank for any other sick or dead fish and did not find any. What I did find were approximately 40 eggs, all viable, but nowhere near where I thought I would find them.

This morning, the same group deposited 30 more viable eggs, directly where the water flow from the HOB filter was striking the glass.

This is a beautiful group of fish that I am so happy and proud to have in my fish room and I cannot thank Ian enough for his incredible generosity for bringing me this species. Cheers. - Frank
Coriequest
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:85)
Location 2: San Francisco
Interests: Animals, Corey's, CRS, planted tanks, horses, reading, psychology, human behavior

Re: My First Spawn of S. lacerdai

Post by Coriequest »

Sorry for your loss. Glad they are spawning. It takes the sting out of the loss a bit. I'm sure you have a fantastic fish room!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”