Corydoras & Salt

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Corydoras & Salt

Post by philtre »

Hi all,

could you share your experience using salt with corydoras? I have used salt extensively on my corydoras aeneus albinos as they are with my discus.

The only thing that I've noticed before is that when I was giving them a salt bath (everybody in the tank, and this was a really huge dosage) I saw one of the bigger (if not biggest one) keel over. I nudged him (probably a her ... hehehe ) a little ... put him back in the tank and it was none the worse.

if you could share your experience about using salt with corydoras, I'll really appreciate it. In addition, how about salt and its "medicinal" benefits for cories?

cheers
philtre
Last edited by philtre on 20 Jan 2003, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Post by clothahump »

I never use salt not even in OUR food.
I personally do not see any reason to use it if your fish are healthy.
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Some cats can have nasty skin reactions to salt in too high a cocentration. So I would only use in rare xceptions were the salt will aid healing or help precribed medication. As a retailer we keep salt in a lot of our tanks in very small doses and the cats we keep in these tanks seem quite happy. If u are not sure use a very small amount first and dissolve it before putting in tank as u can deplete oxygen very quickly.
Bathos
I've donated: $20.00!
Location 1: USA, Pennsylvania
Interests: Corydoras and other freshwater fish

Post by Bathos »

before i knew anything about fish, i kept a couple of cories in 1tsp salt per gallon and they spawned and fry survived until i left for Germany, so they weren't too terribly unhappy with that concentration. i now don't use salt and they seem just as happy if not slightly happier. i have used salt to kill ich in a tank with cories. it worked wonderfully and they never complained. (or showed distress) the dosage was slightly over 1 TBS per gallon. when i did the ich treatment, i added salt slowly over a period of days though, and i think that made a big difference. the only salt i use in my tanks is aquarium salt.
-Liz
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Post by philtre »

hi all

stingray ...
didn't know that salt will deplete oxygen! hmmm ... will take note.
liz,
thanks for sharing your experience. useful
tim,
was thinking about when I see them flashing ... probably a tad of salt will do them good?

:wink:

so far ... this lot of cats under my care, they're all tank bred to begin with. So I suppose they could be more alright with salt that those wild caught ones?

cheers
philtre

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”