tank repair

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
xander
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
Location 1: MN USA

tank repair

Post by xander »

I need to fix a broken corner seam on a 38 gallon tank. The top rim on that corner has cracked and water pressure has split the seam all the way down. I remember fixing this tank before But I'm sure it was another corner. I plan on using a slow epoxy on the rim. I am wondering if there is a generic sealant that I can get at a local home store(Home Depot, Menards, etc.) that is equal if not better (cheaper though) than the 5 oz tube you see at LFS. I think I got stuff at the LHS(local home store) last time but can't seem to find it. I thnik it may have been labeled as aquarium sealant but not as the primary use. So if anyone has done this before or anyone that makes their own tanks then please enlighten me as to what you use. Thanks
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

The Fungucides in more generic sealants is actually Cyanide...

Get a sealant that is specifically indicated as "Safe for Aqarium Use." Dow makes a commercial 8oz. tube. Last I was there Menard's carries it. Look around a bit.

Worst case, don't be too much of a cheap skate and get the stuff at the LFS.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
jordan235
Location 1: kingston

Post by jordan235 »

I Got silacone at a local hard ware store just make sure it says its aquarium safe mine has it written right on it and i havent had any problem :) u said
another corner has had the same problem.
so if you dont already try putting a piece of strofoem under tank stops tank from shifting around.:)

Return to “Tank Talk”