tank cycle.

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
lostris
Location 1: Malta

tank cycle.

Post by lostris »

Hi there,

I've read a lot of books,and searched a lot of sites.I know that the first 6 to 8 week of a tank is very imp and that i should c an increase in ammonia. I'm doing test every 4 days approximatley. The tank has been set up 2 weeks now, and i have a black molly in it.ph is ok 7.5 amonia is the same as 4 day ago 0.1, and no2 is d same as 4 days ago as well, 0.3. What type of increase do i have to c?
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

What type of increase do i have to c?
Don't worry too much about the increases as long as it stays within resonable levels in terms of health of the fish present.
you should see ammonia for about 7-8 days and that should settle to zero, and then nitrite for a further 15-20 days then the cycle is complete just nitrate to take out with water changes. you are intending to do some water changes i assume, to keep the levels peaking to high?

The increases you are seeing are due to your one mollie and the food you are supplying, so the increases you will be governed in a way on your stocking level and feeding regime hence you may not see any high peaks however the tank will still be cycled.
lostris

Post by lostris »

yes of course i will b doing water changes, even tough to tell u the truth everyonw has his different say about it, and i don't really know which is the best one.

Thanks for the help.
magnum4

Post by magnum4 »

even tough to tell u the truth everyonw has his different say about it,
Such is life!

Too help speed up the cycle process short term you could increase your temperature to about 26-28. Increase the amount of oxygen with an air pump or add lots of live plants. get some mature bacteria from a friends tank.
lostris

Post by lostris »

hi magnum,

The temperature is 28 @ the moment , i'm not using a heater yet. Air pump, i only have the one that came with the pump. And plants i have a lot , even tough its my first time with live plants, and by d looks of it i still have a long way to succese.lol.
magnum4

Post by magnum4 »

I'm coming to live in malta!

have you seen the AGA web site for planted tanks?
lostris

Post by lostris »

Lol Magnium,don't come on this mass of concrete, only the wheather is nice believe me!!!!

No I haven't seen the site. I found a bit of info about the type of plants,and the type of water they need, and light. But none that tells me about fertilizer pelets and stuff.The only thig i did for them , excpet 8 hrs of light is fertilizer underneath the pea gravel (similar to d gravel, but bigger stones,and differnet texture and colour).
magnum4

Post by magnum4 »

This is the international showcase competition for 2002, each tank has a run down of the equiptment used and flora and fauna present.

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2002.cgi

IMO the best place for ideas for planted tanks, an in a few years when your tanks filled out you can enter the contest youself.

Return to “Tank Talk”